New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone hotspot with Mavericks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I have noticed that since downloading Mavericks, my laptop no longer recognizes my iPhone as a Personal Hotspot. The WiFi Password is entered. But something with the WiFi still needs to be adjusted.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Does your MacBook Pro "see" your iPhone when you go to "choose networks"? If it doesn't detect your iPhone, you won't be able to use the hotspot. Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

No, it does not "see" the phone. The iPhone does not show up in the Networks pull-down.

By "Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.," do you mean turning it on and off and on, or something else?

Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
No, it does not "see" the phone. The iPhone does not show up in the Networks pull-down.

By "Try setting up the hotspot again on your iPhone.," do you mean turning it on and off and on, or something else? Thanks.
Yes, go through the hotspot setup again with your ISP. It should not have changed when you updated to Mavericks as long as you didn't change anything else that would effect it. Also check the strength of your cellular signal. I know that when I was setting up a hotspot with my iPad on Verizon, the cellular signal had to be fairly strong before my Mac would see it. And it usually took several tries looking for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

"Yes, go through the hotspot setup again with your ISP. " On the laptop or on the Phone?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

On your iPhone, not the Mac. Also like I said above, you may have to give the connection several tries before your Mac "sees" the iPhone hotspot. In other words, click on your WiFi icon at the top menu, select "join other network", and wait until the hotspot icon with your iPhone's name shows up. You may have to do that several times before it's picked up especially if your cellular signal is weak.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

3 out of 5 dots of signal strength.
I have given the connection several tries.

The laptop is not seeing it. In fact, it's not seeing anything but my Airport Base Station. The iPhone is detecting 6 other signals (as per normal).

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Is your iPhone able to connect to the WiFi signal from your base station? And which signal are you using to create the hotspot, your base station or the cell signal from your carrier?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, I just ran thru the hotspot setup on my iPhone 5c: I had to have WiFi and BlueTooth on before it would allow me to connect. Once I turned both of those on, it allowed me to create the hotspot and assign a new password to connect - which I did. My iPhone was detected on the first try and I connected with my iMac to it. (Make sure you have WiFi and BT turned on.)
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK, I just ran thru the hotspot setup on my iPhone 5c: I had to have WiFi and BlueTooth on before it would allow me to connect. Once I turned both of those on, it allowed me to create the hotspot and assign a new password to connect - which I did. My iPhone was detected on the first try and I connected with my iMac to it. (Make sure you have WiFi and BT turned on.)
You are referring to "run thru hotspot setup." How is this done? All I can see is that you turn the Personal Hotspot button to the "On" position then wait until the iPhone appears in the Newtworks radar icon thing at the top menu bar next to the speaker volume icon. I have done all of this.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about muting contacts | ipad permanently disabled »