New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Alternative Audio App

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BNEX

BNEX is on a distinguished road

Folks,
I am incredibly frustrated with the default music app on the iPhone.
I need something simple, dependable, with a clear interface.
Most importantly: the ability to fast forward in increments. I listen to a lot of audio
books and the default app scrubbing feature simply doesn't work for
me.

For podcasts, the "Downcast" app does exactly what I need.
see:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I strongly recommend it over the default podcast app. Is there an app
you can suggest to do the job for .mp3s?

Thank you all very much in advance!

BNEX iPhone 5s / 7.0.6
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Almost all of mine are from Audible, so I use the Audible app - and it's free.
It's primarily for Audible books, but it can also play audio books from within iTunes.

You'll still sync them with iTunes.
The Audible app can then be used to play the books that are in the music app in iOS.

You've got not only a scrubber bar, but a rewind button on the main screen - then it also a button free option they call it which provides both incremental rewind and fast forward with system settings allowing you to set it at several options between 10 seconds and 90 seconds - found 30 works good for me.

Has a sleep timer you can set from 8 minutes to 60 minutes.

Also permits you to set bookmarks.

The negative is that it can't read the chapter markers for books that reside in iTunes.
Probably not a biggie as long as you don't fall asleep while listening without setting the sleep timer or saving a bookmark to find your place.

Narration speed adjustments also don't work for iTunes audio books.

Think it's the one to compare others against.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BNEX

BNEX is on a distinguished road

Thank you bobtomay for your reply. I downloaded the Audible app and the interface is indeed strong. I tested it on the titles within my iTunes "Books" section.

Unfortunately, the Audible app does not appear to play .mp3 files.

Much of my collection is in the form of long interviews, books from the library, and symphonies in .mp3 format.

Other suggestions?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need to make sure the "media kind" is set as audiobook in iTunes - if not, Audible will not see it.
It is not a music player and will not recognize your symphonies nor any other music, video, podcasts, etc...
It is strictly an audiobook player.

To check your audiobooks, right click on it in iTunes, select Get Info - go to the Options tab and change the "Media Kind" to Audiobook.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Duplicate Songs on iPhone 5S and iPad Mini2 | new to iPhone »