New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iMessage confusion.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Hi all and Happy holidays,
I seem to have set up an iMessage account, and something odd happened:

I have been having an SMS and cell phone conversation with a tradesman. He sent me a text message which did not arrive on my phone, but popped up on my wi-fi only iPad.
My question is, why did it not appear on my phone?

I have an iPhone 5. When I look at the message set up on the iPhone, it lists my email address and my cell phone number. Although the email address has a tick next to it, my cell phone number does not.

If anyone could explain what might have happened, it would help me understand how iMessage is meant to work.

Thanks and happy new year
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

SMS messages can only go to phone numbers, but iMessages can go to either phone numbers OR email addresses, which may be where this gets confusing. The simplest thing is to check each device and see if the same list of phone numbers and email addresses are being used on each, or consciously choose to limit messages that go to some devices.

In this case, sounds like the guy sent an iMessage (which is not an SMS) to your phone number. So your phone didn't get it because you have your number unticked there, but your iPad did because you have it ticked there. You can distinguish iMessages from texts by their background colour; blue for iMessage, green for SMS.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Thanks Chas_m,
Although the cell phone number does not have a tick against it, it is greyed out, so I cannot put a tick against it?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Try the steps outlined in this support-forum message:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23243722#23243722
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

That has now put a tick next to the cell number.
Let's see how it works out.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Try the steps outlined in this support-forum message:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23243722#23243722
Thanks for that link. I was working on this problem over Christmas Eve and followed some directions that were not as clear. It is almost working. This should help.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a way to replace twitter, facebook as default apps w/o jailbreak? | How to Jailbreak iOS 7 - All iPhones, iPads and iPod touches »