New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Why is iTunes copying mp3s out of order

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RattlerMac

RattlerMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

When I'm putting cds into iTunes library/playlist. It's not putting them in the correct order. Itunes keep moving albums that I purchase from Amazon or whats in my mp3 collection out of order.

Is there a why to resolve this?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Without more information, i could say that it is as easy as you having the wrong Menu Bar live . . . ie: When in list view at the top you have Song, Time, Artist, Album, Genre, and you might have Song selected and if you have that will make the songs list in Alphabetical Order, and different ways if you have others selected ??
If not give us more info, OS, iTune version what you did, have done and so on . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

Ok, I click on the Track Number and it listed the tracks, that shows them out of order. When I click on the tack number in the view, it put them in order the correct way. This is a new mbp, the old mbp would put them in the correct order by default.

The tracks are not in alphabetic order.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

As TattooedMac said, it is most likely a ' sorting ' order that you need to set in the different views iTunes has.
This has nothing to do with an old or a new MBP ( hardware ) nor with the OS ( OS X ) , just sorting views in iTunes.
Can you send us a screen shot so we can have a visual and maybe help you out better ?
Also, it will be beneficial if you tell us what OS you are running and what version of iTunes you have.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Here is the info on my Mac.

OS X 10.9.1

iTunes 11.1.3

It appears to have put the songs on by name. How can I set the default to do track #'s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 4.54.44 PM.jpg (376.6 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you Right Click right there the column names are like Name, Time, Artist, you can add other columns. One I just added is Track Number. See if that does it for you. If not check that listing and add the one that will put them in the order you want and HIGHLIGHT it.

Hope that solves it for you. Did for me.
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Here is a screen shot and this isn't in order by track #'s. How do I set the default of iTunes to copy this to library in track listing order?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 9.48.54 PM.png (945.0 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Right Click and add Sort Album to the columns up top then pick that instead of Artist. See if that gives you what you are after?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-12-27 at 8.08.33 PM.png (101.8 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Here's the thing about iTunes: the Library sorts them by what it knows. If the track numbers are present in the tags for the files, then internally, iTunes is sorting them correctly.

But iTunes shows you whatever it is you tell it you *want* it to show you in terms of sort order. That doesn't mean the files are actually unsorted, it means you selected "time" or "name" as the default sort VIEW (ie the way the information is presented to you). Setting track number as the default view should show you the songs in album order, *provided* the track number is listed in the tags for the songs. If it's not, iTunes will always "fall back" to alphabetical order.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Chas is correct. All mine are and when I select what I did in the screen shot above as you can see they are in order.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Jailbreak iOS 7 - All iPhones, iPads and iPod touches | PhotoSynth alternative? Globe panorama app »