New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Issue with imail and multiple email address

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LRussoPhoto

LRussoPhoto is on a distinguished road

I have multiple gmail accounts seat up in my iMail, 3 to be exact. My problem is, recently sometimes when I send an email from one account, when someone replies I will get the reply on my other gmail account. WTH!
Not sure if its an imail or gmail issue because even on my phone it comes to the other gmail address, and always the same 2 email accounts.
If i sent an email from email address ME1 when someone replies, it will come to email address ME3. I know when I send the email I have ME1 chosen in the from option in imail. Is it something in my mail preferences? I didn't knowingly change anything.
What is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

OK.

Which device are you using and what version of iOS. By 'iMail' I'm guessing you mean the built in Mail client..... or do you mean you have downloaded an app called 'iMail'?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Yes the mac mail client NOT an app. I am running Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First off - are you sure they are hitting the "Reply" button and not creating a new email or hitting the "Forward" button and typing in your name which would call up whatever email address they have for you in their contacts list regardless of the email you used to send it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

OK. So it's on your Mac not on an iPhone or iPad.

Bobtomay raises a valid point, but assuming they are just replying..... When you compose a new mail and have multiple accounts configured you'll see a drop-down list next to the 'From:' label. Here you can specify which account you send from.

If you go to Preferences - Compose you can change what address is in here by default. The specific options depend on the version of OSX you have but you'll get the idea once you get in there

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Yes, I'm sure. And it only happens when I'm on the mac, if i create an email from @me1 on my iPhone and send it to @me2, then hit reply from my iPhone it comes back to @me1. If I send to the exact address from the mac, it comes back to @me3.
QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Plow, I made sure that I have the correct account selected. I my new mail window there is a drop down to choose which account u want to send from.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRussoPhoto View Post
Plow, I made sure that I have the correct account selected. I my new mail window there is a drop down to choose which account u want to send from.
OK, does that match the sent from address in the mail in sent items?

QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Just checked, yes, if i go to sent and look, all the sent from address are correct they just get sent back to a different one, so weird!
QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

if i go to mail preferences and look in accounts, could it have something to do with incoming or out going servers or some there?>
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

If you are sending a mail out with 'address1' and it's coming back to a different address it's a recipient issue at their end.

If your outgoing mail had the wrong address on it would be an issue on your mail client.

I suspect what you're getting back is the primary address the recipient has for you.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRussoPhoto View Post
if i go to mail preferences and look in accounts, could it have something to do with incoming or out going servers or some there?>
no, not if the sent item has the correct address on it.

QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
If you are sending a mail out with 'address1' and it's coming back to a different address it's a recipient issue at their end.

If your outgoing mail had the wrong address on it would be an issue on your mail client.

I suspect what you're getting back is the primary address the recipient has for you.
I wonder if your right, I will contact the person and see if they have the primary address setup for me. but weird, it happens if i sent to and myself from my different accounts.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

From the information you've provided the issue is at the recipient end.

You can test it thus:
1. create a brand new email account (say a yahoo or hotmail account). Just do it on the web. No imported contacts, no link to any account you already have.
2. Send an email to this new account from your Mac from an account of your choosing)
3. on the new account (still just in the web browser) have a look at who it came from and the reply.
4. The new web based account has no view/knowledge of your other addresses and therefore can only use the address it was sent from to reply back to

QUOTE Thanks
LRussoPhoto

Ok, just noticed this……(just so its out there all these accounts are gmail accounts) I sent an email from @me1 to a yahoo account that is not setup to my mac mail. when i received the email at my yahoo account it says the sender is @me3 not the @me1 i sent it from! but if i go back to my mack mail and go to my sent folder, it says sent from @me1.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail App: Early emails do not show | Iphone Wallpaper setting issues »