New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Mail App: Early emails do not show

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonvee

simonvee is an unknown at this point

Hi,

As many of you are aware, not all of your emails (inbox, sent) from the IOS Mail app show, namely your earliest emails. Maybe I'm missing it, but does anyone know of an option within setting to change this?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
As many of you are aware, not all of your emails (inbox, sent) from the IOS Mail app show, namely your earliest emails. Maybe I'm missing it, but does anyone know of an option within setting to change this?
Ah.... they should all be showing. There is no setting to tell it not to show everything. What email service are you using? Does it use IMAP or POP?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

I use the default Mail app that comes with the iphone. I'm not sure if it's IMAP or POP.

I've had this issue for this iphone 5s and iphone 4s.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

This is the app
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I use the default Mail app that comes with the iphone. I'm not sure if it's IMAP or POP.

I've had this issue for this iphone 5s and iphone 4s.
And what email service are you using? Yahoo, iCloud, GMail, etc...

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Hotmail
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Hotmail
Ok. If you log in to Hotmail via a web browser on your desktop, do you see mail there that you do not see on the iPhone? On the iPhone, be sure you scroll all the way down. Also... how many emails do you have in the Inbox, Sent, etc?

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

I see a whole series of emails on desktop (OSX/Windows) that I do not see on my Iphone. Emails prior to a certain date are not on there.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I see a whole series of emails on desktop (OSX/Windows) that I do not see on my Iphone. Emails prior to a certain date are not on there.
Again... how many emails are in the inbox, sent folder, etc? If you have an extraordinarily high number, that may be a factor. And when you say "on the desktop", is this an app or via a web browser?

The reason I ask... if the service uses POP email, then each email client has an option to delete messages off the server once downloaded. If all your messages are in a desktop app but not on the iPhone, then your desktop app may have deleted everything off the server once downloaded, or at least it did once in the past. In that case, those emails will only be in the desktop app. If you log in via a web browser, you effectively are "on the server" and can see what's still there. But that's all only true for POP servers. IMAP servers keep everything synced and on the server.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

When I refer to desktop I mean 'web browser' (firefox). In total from my web browser, I only have 20 emails.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

I did a little more digging and it does appear that with Hotmail, you can set it to download a limited number of "days" worth of emails. Here's a link on how to add a Hotmail account:
How to Sync a Hotmail Account on an iPhone: 8 Steps

You'll see towards the bottom what the setting is that I'm referring to. You should be able to adjust this though since you are already set up. Follow steps 1 and 2 in that link, then jump to step 7.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

I know the resolution now. Inside of settings there is an option which say "Mail days to sync'. Mine is '1 week'. It should be 'no limit'. I can see ALL my emails now! Cool!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When you set up hotmail on the iPhone 5S with iOS 7, it asked a question - something to the effect of what date do you want to use for the cutoff time of emails to show - whatever date you put in - it's not going to show any emails prior to that date.

The only way you're going to fix it, is to remove hotmail and add it back in and use a different date.

edit:
ya'll are faster than I am - good to know there's actually a setting there instead of needing to remove and add the account again...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

This is a double thread. Go see my caution on the other one.

MODS< you may want to merge this with this one. Started out differently, but ended up with the same discussion and posts.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to send email attachments: iOS | Issue with imail and multiple email address »