New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iOS 7 vs. iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sweetcharge

Sweetcharge is on a distinguished road

Should I downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 from 7.0.2 or just wait until an untethered jailbreak is released? Reason why 5.1.1 is because that's the latest software that I have my SHSH blobs (Apparently I don't have 6.1.1 even though I was jailbroken on 6.1.1)

Pros of iOS 7: Im updated with the latest software (I know there's 7.0.4, but updated in iOS 7 in general) and I like the way the interface, apps and lockscreen look and plus the new features

Cons: It's REAAAALLLY Laggy and there's no Jailbreak

Pros of iOS 5: There's an untethered jailbreak and I believe it would make my phone go faster.

Cons: Im not updated and I don't like the way it looks :p

Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Personally, I wouldn't put iOS 7 anything on an iPhone 4. You're probably right about it slowing the phone down. My wife's iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5x and it's doing fine. I put iOS 7 on my newer iPad and I like it but that's a lot different than an iPhone 4. If you had an iPhone 5 then I would say update it to iOS 7x.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and it had exactly the opposite effect: it got very noticeably speedier. I suspect this is due to me having used the upgrade occasion to clear out apps I don't use anymore and thus free up some space.

I suspect that you might be low on operating space, which would explain why your impression of iOS is so different. Try clearing some room and see if that makes a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
Scrapyard_Dog

Scrapyard_Dog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012 i5 4gb ~ iPhone 4S 16gb ~ iPad 2 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I have iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and it had exactly the opposite effect: it got very noticeably speedier. I suspect this is due to me having used the upgrade occasion to clear out apps I don't use anymore and thus free up some space.

I suspect that you might be low on operating space, which would explain why your impression of iOS is so different. Try clearing some room and see if that makes a difference.
Exactly the same for me. I've got a 4S and its fine on that but my other half has a bog standard 4. We cleared all the crud off, installed IOS 7 and it runs without issue!

Useful is beautiful
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disappointed in iOS 7 | 'Deleted' e-mail addresses re-appearing »