New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

forgot my "restrictions" passcode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

egscott

egscott is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Only an Iphone

I restricted my iphone with a 4 digit passcode, but forgot it. I now want to un-restrict it, but because I don't remember my passcode, I can't. I'm OK with a total reset. I can recover my apps from the cloud. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Total reset in iTunes is the only way I know how unless someone else has a better suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's basically the only option. I am going to have to do the same to my iPad for the third time in about the last six weeks. iTunes will perform a backup then you can restore the phone from a previous backup. Word of caution: If you restore from a backup make sure that the backup is one that was made before you set the passcode. Otherwise the passcode will still be on the phone.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
egscott

Problem is I did that passcode 6 months ago and failed to write it down thinking that I'd have no problem remembering it again. However it's not any of the regulars that I use and nothing I've tried works. In the meantime, I had a problem with the lock switch on my original phone so Apple replaced it. After restoring, the new phone has the same code in it. I failed to get them to reset my phone while at the store, and may have to go back to do so. I was just hoping there was a way to reset that didn't require me to visit the Apple Store again.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can reset it through iTunes as mentioned above. It's a rather simple process but, as noted, you will lose everything on the phone.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Conner the phone to iTunes and launch it. Select the phone and choose the restore option don't choose restore backup. Apparently the backup was made after the pass code was applied. Unfortunately you will loose any data on the phone.

QUOTE Thanks
egscott

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

No problem. I've done the same thing on my iPad a couple of times in the last few months. in fact I'm probably going to need to do this tomorrow. I've forgotten the code I used to set restrictions on my iPad.

QUOTE Thanks
egscott

SlyDude,

Once i empty my iphone and restore it to original condition, is there any way I can get my songs off of Itunes without my restrictions pass code coming along with them?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

If the songs are on your computer normal syncing should move the songs from your computer to the phone. Since the code isn't on the phone as far as its concerned this is a completely new situation. As long as you don't use the backup to restore files you should be fine.

QUOTE Thanks
egscott

Great! Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
egscott

Well, I did the dastardly deed and "restored" my phone as new. Then I was able to get back my apps and songs--all as promised--via syncing. It took some basic set up again, but I now have my phone back with all working and the new passcode written in my password book.

The only thing different is I can't get my app ikons to move between the different screens like I used to. Typically, I would touch and hold an ikon until they all jiggled then drag whichever one I wanted to whatever front page screen I wanted. Now all they do is move on their current page. I'm assuming there's a setting, but haven't been able to find it yet.

Any clues?
QUOTE Thanks
egscott

never mind. Figured it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Glad you got that figured out. I didn't see this question last night.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a productivity app | ical groups »