New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Can't restore an used iPhone 4S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLovin85

MacLovin85 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD

Good evenin' people!

I bought recently an used iPhone 4S and the owner gave it to me "restored". So I picked language and all the basic stuff before using it.

The catch is... it didn't let me log into my own App Store account. It says that "there are too many accounts already" and no matter how much I restore it: I can't get it to work.

Someone told me (recently) that I can't use it, that I have to ask the original owner for his ID in order to switch. I call "lies" and come here to ask... because if I need to do that: I'm going to return this freaking phone to his original owner for a refund.

It can't be possible that he can't relinquish the phone he doesn't want anymore just because of some stupid single-user lock policy.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Is the app store message saying you already have too many devices associated with your Apple ID? There is a limit of 10 devices you can authorize with your ID. Computers, iPads, iPhones, iPods. You might have to unauthorize one device in order to make app (and iTunes) purchases on the iPhone.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLovin85

MacLovin85 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
There is a limit of 10 devices you can authorize with your ID.
Thanks for the speedy answer!

The account is new and I made it through the phone. I can't recall using my old account on more than two or three devices and also bounces out with the same error message.

How can I set this option you're telling me? I might as well give it a spin.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

Is the device running iOS 7?

iOS 7 has a security feature built-in which would stop you configuring it as a new device if the seller hasn't unlocked it first.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Is the device running iOS 7?

iOS 7 has a security feature built-in which would stop you configuring it as a new device if the seller hasn't unlocked it first.
That's the nail on the head right there.

If it had iOS7 on the previous owner needs to dis-associate that device with his/her iCloud account.

Ask the previous owner to log into iCloud.com/find - from there select Erase - then Remove from account

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Duplicate messages on new iphone 5c | Control Center »