New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Widgets for home screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BDD888

BDD888 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.

Does iOS (or iOS7) have widget choices for the home screen that include Android style "time/date/wether" widgets? Are there 3rd party companies making them? Love to get the iPad 5 looking like an Android tablet with a "time/date/weather" widget. I know iOS7 has a "time/date" widget. We've seen that.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No, the iOS homescreen is "static" in that what you've got is what you'll ever have.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

BDD888 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.

That's a shame. I wonder how long Apple will hold onto this design philosophy. Limiting or not allowing customizability. The longer they wait the more market share Samsung will gain around the world. It's amazing to me how Apple still manages to sell their iPhones/iPads based on a strong fan base...which I think is dwindling. Has to be. We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post
That's a shame. I wonder how long Apple will hold onto this design philosophy. Limiting or not allowing customizability. The longer they wait the more market share Samsung will gain around the world. It's amazing to me how Apple still manages to sell their iPhones/iPads based on a strong fan base...which I think is dwindling. Has to be. We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.
I know. How many new 5s and 5c iPhones did Apple sell just in the first weekend last month? A few hundred? No, it was a little more than that...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would say with record sales not that many people care and it seems lately for every tweaker they lose they gain 3 that don't care.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post
We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.
"We" is rather limited - most people aren't as technically inclined as many of us might be.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Instead of trying to get an iPad to work like Android, why don't you just stick with Android? Not everyone who uses tablets or smartphones is a "techie". In fact, one reason why iPhones and iPads are selling so well is because regular, everyday people are finding iOS to be intuitive and usable. Even as a "techie", I'm more concerned with how easy something is to use than customization in the form of widgets.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Even as a "techie", I'm more concerned with how easy something is to use than customization in the form of widgets.
Well said, I agree.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Its only a certain Generation of us that want customisation and that doesnt include me. But as said above, the record sales, seems to be that people DONT want customisation, and just want a device that does what the iPhone's do. Calls, Txt's, and Apps that help in there every day life.
My mother came to visit a while ago, and i had a look and play with her HTC ONE and to be honest, you HAD to customise it to be able to do anything, (from what i saw) and i have better use of time than to try and make a screen pretty when
1. Its to my ear and cant see it,
2. Its in my pocket and i cant see it,
3. Im using a App and i cant see the screen,
4. Its on charge overnight while im asleep and i cant see the screen.

Seems i dont need customisation

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
1. Its to my ear and cant see it,
2. Its in my pocket and i cant see it,
3. Im using a App and i cant see the screen,
4. Its on charge overnight while im asleep and i cant see the screen.
If only it were as simple as you say Brent. This current younger generation is (are) glued to their smartphones. They're either playing games on the things or texting like crazy (some of them while driving).

Was in my doctor's office the other day undergoing the usual long wait even after having an appointment, and I was the only one who brought a magazine to read (MacWorld of course). Everyone else including the old codgers were playing on their smart phones.

Even the zombies we have in Washington DC who are supposed to be our congress are on their smartphones all the time!
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

I dont know but as long as it's apple, no one really cares
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

iOS7 kinda has this already..

Main screen shows Time and Date. Simple downward swipe shows your calendar events, date, time and weather. Plus you can add more to it from the control panel.

iOS devices are designed to be sleek and elegant. Now while I totally understand the want to change things, they are not marketed to those who wish to do so. They are more for those who want a solid, interface that is ready to go.

That being said. I dont see any reason you cant build an App with the development tools to do something like this. They are free download off the App Store.

Now I am wanting to spruce up my desktop with Geek Tools. But I downloaded it months ago and still havent bothered. LOL.. I did however disable Dashboard and I dont understand what the heck its for yet..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If only it were as simple as you say Brent. This current younger generation is (are) glued to their smartphones. They're either playing games on the things or texting like crazy (some of them while driving).
I knoe exactly where your coming from. My partners oldest 2 have smart phones, and they are forever on it, actually i dont see their head in the upright position unless they are putting food into their mouth. I have on many occasions held, 'SHUT THE BLOODY FRIDGE' while they stand there for 2 minutes Snap Chatting hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Now I am wanting to spruce up my desktop with Geek Tools. But I downloaded it months ago and still havent bothered. LOL.. I did however disable Dashboard and I dont understand what the heck its for yet..
Im like you, and in all honesty, the very first thing i do when i put a new system on a Mac, or buy a new one, is open Terminal and
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
I hate Dashboard and Widgets, but i had a thing for Geektool and set my desktop up, then came to a clean install and i haven't delved back into it again . . . You can have some fun with it though.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Radio Disappeared | video from image sequence »