New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Artist pics in Music app?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

Just noticed in iOS 7 that if you look at the artist list in the Apple music app, some artists have pictures which don't relate to any of the loaded albums.

For example, I have Echoes by Pink Floyd in my library. The Artist list shows a picture of the band from some time in the 60s/70s where as it used to show the album cover!

Only high-profile artists seem to have this. It must be happening in the background when the evidence is sync'ed to iTunes? It doesn't seem to matter if the album was bought or ripped as I have it with both.

Weird!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Apple has a data base of millions of Albums, and i suppose if the Digital Stamp is off a bit, there are going to be mistakes.
Are you with iTunes Match ?? I have it, and even though it recognises my albums, no matter how hard i tried, there where some albums that refused to even get album artwork. When it does, it is VERY rare that iTunes gets it wrong. That comes down to how many Compilations, The Best of's, The Very Best of's, The Very Very Best of's and so on that a certain song is in any one of those Albums.
Honestly TuneUp has just had a complete re-write and is IMHO a awesome App that does all the hard work for you, finding Dups, sorting out MetaData, including Lyrics, and most of All Album cover art. They had a sale on so i bought it and in my 3k + songs, it has fixed it up the way i want it to look and as i said, they have just had a major update, and looks very nice now.
I havnt had a chance to use it, because im buying a lot straight from iTunes now so its all just there, but if you need a Library fixed up, i wouldnt suggest anything else to fix it up.

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

I think you misunderstand me - the album art is correct, but the artist has separate and distinct art. It used to just take an album cover, but not any more.

Album list:

Phil Collins drill down:

Pink Floyd drill down:

Contrast that with Pixie Lot and Plan B are still just using album covers.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Didn't even recognize him in that pic, had never even thought about him being in his 60s.
Keep the music coming Phil!

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
I think you misunderstand me - the album art is correct, but the artist has separate and distinct art. It used to just take an album cover, but not any more.

Contrast that with Pixie Lot and Plan B are still just using album covers.
Ahh got ya now. Well that is a weird one, as i went through every album i have and whats on the Album list, is on the Song list.

You still havnt said if you have iTunes Match or not ??
Is this how it is on your Mac within iTunes before you sync ?? How do you Sync OTA or Cable ?

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I suspect Apple is displayed supplied artwork for known artists (this gets around the issue of what to display if you have 2 or more albums for the same artist). If you temporarily replace the album artwork for pixie lott (as per your screenshot) does the artist image remain or change?

edit: further investigation. It's the artist thumbnail that the iTunes store holds for an artist. Sometimes this is a album cover so just happens to match. But more often than not it's a promo shot of the artist/band etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

I don't have Match, and I sync with a cable. But it looks like Mr Plow has found the likely culprit.

It just struck me as an interesting change in iOS 7...
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

I noticed this, too. What annoys me, tho, is that with some artists (in the artist list), no artwork is shown at all for a few artists, even though I have cover art for all albums. I don't know why, but I'm a real picky about this - I can't stand blanks where there SHOULD be cover art or pictures. It REALLY bugs the crap out of me...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone calendar won't sync | Terms & Conditions »