New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Restoring a backup from old iPad to new iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Hi to all!

I am not sure how to attack this problem. My boss sailed her 2 month old iPad 4 onto concrete - no case on it. Concrete won. So she took it to Sprint and traded it in on a new one (they gave her $300 for a trade in..sweet.) The sprint people "restored" her new iPad with the backup from the old iPad using her iCloud account. She got everything back but her vacation videos.

She did not notice the videos were missing until she left the store. She called them and the sprint people told her she could try wiping her new iPad and try the restore again and that could bring the videos back?????

On her current iPad her iCloud backup shows two backups - one for the old iPad and one for the new one. The backup for the old iPad is twice the size as the backup for the new one. Could it be that the videos are in the old backup? I do not know how to look at the backup to determine this.

I also have no idea how to restore using the old backup and then add in the new backup...or just use the old one since it has not been that long - less than a week - since she got this one.

Or are the videos just gone??

Any help is appreciated. DId I mention I am supposed to be the all knowing IT who just recently bought herself an iPad and MBP? So I am a newby when it comes to Apple.

Thanks!
Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here's the Apple kb for restoring from iCloud - walks you through it pretty well.

??
If the vids are not still in iCloud, won't know whether they're in the backup until you try it.

If they were in the Camera Roll, they'll be in the backup - if not, maybe not.

Without restoring, maybe try the below.

Here's a lot of info related to using Photo Stream - if she had it enabled:
using a Mac - have her check in the iPhoto app in Photo Stream.
using Windows - check in the Pictures directory for a Photo Stream folder.

(She'll think you're amazing if you find them on her computer.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I'll try the link. She did not have it long enough to set up photo stream. She left on vacation shortly after she got it, took tons of pictures and videos, then let it hit the concrete. Now she is back and hopes I can pull a rabbit out of a hat. She has all the pictures....

I'll give it a try and let you know if I have any success.

Thanks!
Lisa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad browser problem with ios7 | Reminders App in iOS 7 »