Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    94
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
    Sync contacts/calendar between: Xperia, Mac and ipad
    Hi,

    After using iphone 4, 4S and 5 I am now giving it up and got my new Sony Xperia Z1 today. I want to sync the Android phone in the same way as my iphone. Possible?

    I have MacBook Pro, ipad, icloud, gmail, and the Xperia. I want it all to sync and be able to edit contacts/calendar on all devices. I am not talking about a simple transfer of contacts/calendar notes using export/import. I know how to do that. I am talking about getting the icloud/mac/ipad contacts to not only transfer to the Xperia but also be synced at all time no matter where I add/delete/edit. Same as my system with the iphone was.

    Pretty much every hit when googling is about syncing an iphone or ipad with gmail contact. I do not have any gmail contacts and the iphone I am not using anymore. I simply want to know how I can implement the Xperia in to the syncing i do through icloud with my mac and ipad.

    I hope someone have done this exact thing since I really need this urgently in my job.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,839
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Does Sony have a support site? You'd be much more likely to find someone there that has that phone and a Mac than here, I suspect.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    94
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Does Sony have a support site? You'd be much more likely to find someone there that has that phone and a Mac than here, I suspect.
    You might be right, but I called Sony and their reply was pretty much "I think it is possible" and nothing more.

    I don't think this forum is the right place those who have ONLY Apple products, I'll bet someone else but me here have both Apple products and Android. Since this is a question about how to do this with an Android phone it is relevant to many brands, not just Sony. So if some of the Mac users like myself has an android phone in ADDITION to their synced Mac products this might be the place to ask.

    To me it looks like the way to do it is to syncing phone with Google and Google with icloud. So if there is anyone who knows how to sync Google cal and contacts with icloud (or with the Mac/ipad which then again syncs with icloud, your help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yes, you can sync Google Calendar and contacts with the Mac's Calendar and Contacts, which are of course identical to iCloud's information.

    I don't know how myself, but we have MANY threads on this topic and a quick search should yield you and answer. The trick is to sync just the Mac calendar and contacts to Google, forget the iCloud part because that will work between your Mac and the iPad automatically.

    Thus, even if you only manually make any change to let's say your contacts on the iPad, that will be synced with your Mac which in turn will cause it to be synced with Google which in turn will be synced with the Xperia. See?

    (could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by just getting an iPhone, but I presume that choice was out of your hands for some reason)

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    94
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Yes, you can sync Google Calendar and contacts with the Mac's Calendar and Contacts, which are of course identical to iCloud's information.

    I don't know how myself, but we have MANY threads on this topic and a quick search should yield you and answer. The trick is to sync just the Mac calendar and contacts to Google, forget the iCloud part because that will work between your Mac and the iPad automatically.
    Well I've been searching a bit and most threads are about something else, some about problems with the sync when they have already established the sync so the thread does not reveal how they made the sync, so hopefully someone reads this and can tell me in this thread how I create the sync Chas here explains as it is exactly how I expected to work around this.

    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    (could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by just getting an iPhone, but I presume that choice was out of your hands for some reason)
    Actually as the thread intro says I have had several generations iphones. In addition to some iphones I am stocked up with many Apple products (2xMacBook Pro and Macbook Air all with Apple cinema displays, 2xApple TV, ipad, 3xipod touch/shuffle/nano+++). Iphone just don't cut it anymore in terms of verbal communication. The line is constantly cut off or "computervoiced"/scrambled, seems no signal even though many "bars", I have a bunch of co-workers and friends experiencing the same. I've received a new iphone from Apple and the problems continue. Same for some of my friends. We all have different phone companies, I tried to switch. It does not help. The problem is the iphone and it is for sure. Some have iphone5 that works fine, but generally it must be the worst phone to TALK with of all time and the best at pretty much everything else. Sadly I need to speak in the phone too, I spend a lot of time talking on the phone daily, hence I am switching after being a iphone user for years. This thread is not about discussing the iphone5, and I hope we can stay on topic even though I could have just let your comment pass and achieve that, but I just couldn't resist. I'd be happy to open a new thread for discussing iphone5 to continue sharing user experience with that phone though. If further discussion of the iphone is wanted please do in different thread and I'll be happy to participate.

    Thanks.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I'm sorry you've had such trouble with your iPhone(s). Mine have been great, no voice problems at all.

    Anyway, yeah if you get the Google services to sync with your Mac and iCloud to handle the sync to the iPad you should be good to go.

  7. #7

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,839
    Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Quote Originally Posted by magnitude View Post
    You might be right, but I called Sony and their reply was pretty much "I think it is possible" and nothing more.

    I don't think this forum is the right place those who have ONLY Apple products, I'll bet someone else but me here have both Apple products and Android. Since this is a question about how to do this with an Android phone it is relevant to many brands, not just Sony. So if some of the Mac users like myself has an android phone in ADDITION to their synced Mac products this might be the place to ask.

    To me it looks like the way to do it is to syncing phone with Google and Google with icloud. So if there is anyone who knows how to sync Google cal and contacts with icloud (or with the Mac/ipad which then again syncs with icloud, your help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Ah, you didn't say in your original post that you'd tried Sony. That does leave you out in the cold. I don't have Android anything, but from my reading, the challenges are that there is no one single Android, so it gets problematic to find a solution that works with your specific device and Android variant.

    I did find this link. Don't know if it will work for you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. sync on my mac calendar with iPad
    By mjshack@yahoo.c in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 01:34 PM
  2. Sync Outlook contacts & calendar between Mac & PC
    By lschwarcz in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM
  3. Sync Ipad Calendar enries with Google Calendar
    By georgepag in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
  4. Contacts and Calendar sync with iPod
    By federicog in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
  5. Sync contacts/calendar from Mac to PC.. any application?
    By edokid in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •