New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone "black screen of death"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sarahmy3rs

sarahmy3rs is on a distinguished road

Hello! I have an iPhone 4, and I updated to iOS 7 the day it came out. Yesterday, my iPhone completely shut off and will not turn back on. It wasn't due to a drop or water damage. Normally, I'd reset it by simultaneously holding down the power and home buttons, however, my lock button is broken. I hooked the phone up to my computer and there was absolutely no response. Unfortunately, I haven't backed up this phone. At all. (It's a shame, I know.) I was wondering if there was anything I could do to save my photos. Is there any way an Apple or Verizon store could somehow transfer what's on this phone to a new one? Thanks in advance, guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Assuming the battery just died for some reason, keep it plugged in and see if it recovers. If not, you might want to visit your local Apple store to see if they can get it going again and allow you to back it up and then decide how to proceed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahmy3rs

Tried charging it. No response whatsoever and the screen stayed black. I've tried just about everything. I haven't had time to visit an Apple store, but I plan on it as soon as I have free time. The phone is unrecoverable, or at least it seems to be. But the phone itself doesn't matter to me as I have a new one on the way. All I'm worried about is losing my contacts and my photos. Since I can't restore from a backup, I'm wondering if everything on the phone is also unrecoverable.
QUOTE Thanks
Charmskool

Charmskool is on a distinguished road

Hi sarahmy3rs

Obviously this problem is not normal and you should probably either restore the phone or take it to the Apple Store. I had the same issue on my iPhone 5 with the final Gold Master iOS 7 release. What I did to combat that issue, even though I couldn't see anything on the black screen, was to power down the phone with the top button and slide my finger across the top of the screen as if the red "Slide to Power Off" banner were there. Wait a second and power it back on... worked every time. I just got the new 5s and so far no issues...
QUOTE Thanks
arthur30

arthur30 is on a distinguished road

According to me razoredge is 90% correct it could be a battery fault, get a new battery and see if the phone starts still you would need to show it to a customer center they are the best people to help you and they will take a backup of your phone, I am 99% sure it is a hardware issue and not a software problemso your images will remain safe.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahmy3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmskool View Post
Hi sarahmy3rs

Obviously this problem is not normal and you should probably either restore the phone or take it to the Apple Store. I had the same issue on my iPhone 5 with the final Gold Master iOS 7 release. What I did to combat that issue, even though I couldn't see anything on the black screen, was to power down the phone with the top button and slide my finger across the top of the screen as if the red "Slide to Power Off" banner were there. Wait a second and power it back on... worked every time. I just got the new 5s and so far no issues...
Unfortunately, I can't turn the phone on at all because the lock button has stopped responding. I have a Genius Bar appointment today to see what can be done. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
sarahmy3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur30 View Post
According to me razoredge is 90% correct it could be a battery fault, get a new battery and see if the phone starts still you would need to show it to a customer center they are the best people to help you and they will take a backup of your phone, I am 99% sure it is a hardware issue and not a software problemso your images will remain safe.
I really hope it's a simple battery issue and not a software problem. I'll definitely look into getting a new battery and then take it to a store to see if my photos and contacts can be salvaged. Thank you for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
juanjolainez

juanjolainez is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my device, and i had to go Apple Store.

It was the battery that suddenly died, so I had to change it. Hope you get lucky with that!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

If you have a Mac of any recent version, you might try connecting to your phone by USB cable and see if Image Capture (In the Applications folder) can communicate with the iPhone. If the phone is running but the screen is out for some reason, that may help getting your pictures saved. It's a long shot, of course, but hey, it's better than nothing.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dealing with photos so frustrating! | iPad as second display -- Air Display »