New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

ios7 battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pibolar

pibolar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone5s

anyone else noticed that the ios7 battery life is awful compared to the GM release? i know the builds are meant to be identical but im having to charge my phone everyday now rather my battery lasting the 2/3 days it would normally and im probably using my phone even less lately
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Mavericks

Mine looks about normal power consumption so far. Have you checked your notification settings and the like? I find that this can have a big effect and the settings don't always remain the same between release numbers.

ETA: I mean my 5S has about the same battery life as my 5 did, for clarity
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No difference here either and I generally am on the air using cellular which does eat the battery faster.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A 5s (you lucky dog) has a slightly larger battery than the 5, presumably to compensate for the slightly-increased battery usage.

On an iPhone 4, I'm seeing a little bit more battery use -- even after I've turned off "background app updating" and things like that. I have to assume it's due to the vast amounts more white (which I assume uses more power than black) in iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.1, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibolar View Post
anyone else noticed that the ios7 battery life is awful compared to the GM release? i know the builds are meant to be identical but im having to charge my phone everyday now rather my battery lasting the 2/3 days it would normally and im probably using my phone even less lately
Try this, it worked for me:
A Developers fix for battery life on iOS 7

Updated: July 29th, 2013

I know a lot of you are complaining about battery life, so I've decided to make this thread and point out how you can get your battery life back to what it was, if not even better then when you were running iOS 6. I'll keep updating this as a filter through log files.

It's not an easy process, and it took a little bit of reading through log files and testing to figure this out. Please follow this advice carefully.

This will fix 99.9% of your battery problems. I've fully tested this myself with several devices (including older generations)

Instructions: (Each instruction has an explanation below, the numbers do not signify any form of order)
1) Install each beta as NEW.
2) Sign out of all signed in services (see below for list), then sign back in.
3) Location services (if turned on): Disable Popular, Frequent Locations, Location iAds, WiFi Networking.
4) Turn off Bluetooth unless needed.
5) Do not use the new "live" wallpapers.
6) Turn off "Background App Refresh"

User friendly explanations:

1) Avoid OTA updating the betas.. but if you must, reset all media/content via General -> Reset. The way iOS 7 handles OTA updates may cause some compatibility issues if you've already installed apps, services, etc. Fresh install without OTA/backup is the fix at the moment.

2) This will clear any IdentityServices issues. Currently iOS 7 has a bug with authentication/identity services which clears after logging in and out, then back in. You may sign in again once ALL services are signed out.

3) This will clear out LocationServices bugs on first use. Right now iOS 7's geofencing and other location services (including the new ones) are not working right and WILL drain your battery. This fixes that issue while still giving you nearly full location services access.

4) Since iOS 6 Bluetooth is automatically enabled (with no icon) and you must manually turn it off.

5) Yes, the new wallpapers are battery hogs. Right now, they cause severe drain and logging issues (As seen under diagnostics) so for now, stick with a standard wallpaper. By the time iOS 7 is out, I'm sure this will be fixed.

6) Currently not working as intended, instead leaving apps completely running as code is not optimized. Turn this off and you will notice a huge improvement (and wont affect multitasking!).

Sign out services list: (Once you've signed out, you can sign back in!)

iCloud
iTunes/App Store
iMessage
FaceTime
Homesharing
Facebook
Twitter
Vimeo
Flickr
Rdio(Canadian)/Spotify(USA)
Dropbox
Find Friends
Find iPhone

Enjoy your awesome battery life!

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading apps | Notifications text size »