New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone5S Anyone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Is anyone else thinking of getting one of these on a new/renewed contract? Just curious. I have an AT&T iPhone4 (not iPhone4S) which has been out of contract for some time. Since I'm paying the same monthly rate on my bill as if I was under contract, I was thinking I may as well pick up a subsidized iPhone5S. I don't see anything Android that catches my eye right now, and I don't see myself moving to a new city in the next 2 years ie: my cellular cover age is fine and isn't changing anytime soon.

Any thoughts? Just looking for some perspective or insight. I don't really personally know anyone who cares one way or the other about cell phones - just use whatever work issues them or will sync with Outlook. Heck, some of my non-work friends don't even have much other than a flip phone or burner cell. I don't use mine for much other than a combo device that has a phone, calendar, camera and email ie: I don't use it to play games, text, twitty pages, etc... My current iP4 works fine for all that.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'll be getting the iPhone 5S on tmobile in a month or so. I'm not going to fight the crowd or the lack of supplies..

I've got an iPhone 4 now and that works fine and ill hand that over to my daughter to use as an iPod touch for games..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'll be getting the iPhone 5S on tmobile in a month or so.
Same here (T-Mobile) although my wife likes the colorful 5C better. I believe if you're a current customer you'll get priority for a new 5S or C. You might want to check with your local T-Mobile sales store and have them reserve one for you. That way, no lines, no waiting.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If my contract was up you betcha!
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I ordered my 5s about 15 minutes ago - a nice, shiny 64GB in silver/white! I'll be on pins and needles waiting for it.

For everyone's info: On my receipt, it says it'll be "available to ship in 1 to 3 business days, and delivers Sep.30 to Oct.2 by standard mail." Now, I'm in Los Angeles, which isn't all that far from Cupertino. If they ship it from there, or a warehouse somewhere in California, I should have it a lot sooner than the dates printed on the receipt (or at least that's what I'm hoping for). We'll see what happens, and I'll come back here to post the result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display (2012)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I was planning on standing in line to get one today. After seeing more pics of what iOS 7 looks like, I'm passing and will keep my 3GS yet again..

What everyone likes to call "minimalist", I call downright ugly.
I see it as a way to hire inexperienced graphics people and reduce payroll.

Will wait to see what the next version of the Nexus 4 has under the hood.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'll be heading out to the Apple Store at some point once stock levels are normal I can can just walk in and get what model I want. Planning on using Apple's new trade in program with my 4S.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Who would pay 700 for a phone which, the way Apple seems to work now, we will be expected to replace in 12 to 18 months?
QUOTE Thanks
WLH

WLH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 " iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Mem 1TB HD - 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB

I'm very happy with my iPhone 5 and have about 13 months to go on my current AT&T contract so I have no plan to upgrade to the 5s. Maybe the 6 next next year.

Member ZSCCA - 2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - STiR Plus - ///M Registry - My Videos
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
Who would pay 700 for a phone which, the way Apple seems to work now, we will be expected to replace in 12 to 18 months?
Judging up the expected sales worldwide..a LOT of people actually..

You'd think it's people who are using iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S predominantly who are the ones upgrading to 5S, but there are a lot of iPhone 5 users who are upgrading as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Related question - is an iPhone4S worth buying?

Supplied with iOS7 (according to Apple website)
Do all the features of iOS7 work with that?

Not as expensive as an iPhone5, even a 5C
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'll probably grab an iPhone5S in a month or two, when all the insanity has passed. I always have to decide whether to go through Apple, or AT&T. Last time I went through the local AT&T Store and wasn't very happy with the experience. I think this time I may just stop by the Apple Store in Ridgedale Mall (Minnesota).

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Related question - is an iPhone4S worth buying?

Supplied with iOS7 (according to Apple website)
Do all the features of iOS7 work with that?

Not as expensive as an iPhone5, even a 5C
Depends if you do not care about the improvements that have been made and no you will not get all the features of the 5 especially LTE.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Is it really a shock that a business wants you to buy its products?

Something is only worth to someone what they perceive the value to be.

Would I go and drop 700 on a sim free iphone, no. That's not to say many people won't.

As it is, with what my iPhone 5 sold for it's just cost me an extra 2 per month to get a 5s and go from 16gb to 32gb.

To me that's good value and something I'm prepared to pay for a device I heavily use day in day out.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I'll probably grab an iPhone5S in a month or two, when all the insanity has passed. I always have to decide whether to go through Apple, or AT&T. Last time I went through the local AT&T Store and wasn't very happy with the experience. I think this time I may just stop by the Apple Store in Ridgedale Mall (Minnesota).
Last year when my 2 yr with AT&T was up, I upgraded from the 4 (same as yours) to the 5. I thought waiting 4 weeks after the release date would make it easy and I could walk into any store and pick one up no problem. Not so. Every AT&T store and Apple Store I called was out of stock. I had to go online at 10pm when the Apple stores updated their stock and order for store pickup. Took 3 or 4 nights of failed attempts before I could get 2 (for my wife and myself). This year may be different with the 5c option possibly alleviating some of the demand for the 5s. So, you might be ok. But, if your contract is up and you can order a phone for in-store pick up, go for it. Why wait?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sync Mail | iPad Facebook app, Favorites »