New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Sync documents

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dianac

dianac is on a distinguished road

I have some documents in my macbook that I would like to read and mark in my ipad. I would also like these changes to sync through these devices. I thought icloud would allow me to access them from my ipad.. How could I do that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of documents are you referring to? The Apple iWork apps can be synced, for example: Pages on your Mac and iPad or iPhone. For other documents such as MS Word you could always use Dropbox instead.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You have always been able to store MS Office documents along with iWork documents on iCloud:

iCloud: Documents in the Cloud overview

Given that former MobileMe/.Mac users have 25GB of free space sitting there, we might as well use it.

(tip: indeed, if you zip files beforehand upload them to the iWork section of iCloud, you can actually store any file type in that space)
QUOTE Thanks
dianac

PDF files
QUOTE Thanks
dianac

I thought mobileme didn't exist anymore. It's weard I don't have iWork but my OSX is 10.8.4
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

PDF files can be stored in Documents in the Cloud, no problem.

MobileMe doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced by iCloud.

It's not weird that you don't have iWork. You have to buy iWork (or more accurately, the apps that comprise the iWork suite). There are Mac versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote that cost $20 each, and there are iOS versions of each that cost $10 each (IIRC).
QUOTE Thanks
dianac

Thank you. There is no way to do it without buying these? I thought I could do it using icloud..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, as stated you need both: iWork apps for your Mac and iOS. You can sync documents from other apps as chas_m pointed out or use Dropbox. I use Dropbox to sync documents from Mac Word 2011 to my iPad iOS version of Office HD because I find it easier than iCloud. (Just my opinion.)

Pages for OS X = $19.99, Pages for iOS = $9.99. Considering the cost, a real bargain.
QUOTE Thanks
dianac

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yet another iPhone 5 wifi question | New credit card »