New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Apple Mail App losing messages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

Hi,

My wife has an iPhone 4S running 6.1.3 (which appears to be the latest version for the 4S). Occasionally, when her Mail app does a send /receive the messages which were already in the Inbox get lost and only the new messages are shown. The lost messages do not appear in her Trash folder. The mail is a POP account.

My email runs from the same POP service, and the connection details appear identical except that the is a slight difference in the fields available on my phone which is an iPhone 5 running 6.1.4.

Anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

6.1.4 is a speakerphone update for the iPhone 5 only.

Sounds like she has her recent mail count set too low.
Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - under the Mail section, select Show and set the count to whichever she wants.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

Thanks for the suggestion, I have upped the threshold from 50 to 100 and will see if that helps.

My wife only seemed to have about 15 emails in her inbox the last time this happened. Can anyone suggest anything else to try?
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

Whilst that might solve the problem it isn't a viable answer for me, thanks. I own my own domain and that is the root of all my family's email addresses.

With regards to how POP works, I understand that thanks. The problem is that emails were in my wife's inbox on her phone, then they are gone from her phone. I've used exactly the same POP credentials with every iPhone released in the last four years and this is the first time we have experienced this behaviour.

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This would happen if the email was checked (and downloaded) onto another computer, thus instructing the POP server to clear its copy.
Agreed, if this is recent behavior, someone with access (knowingly or unknowingly) has changed the POP settings in their client.

For info: Even if you have you're own domain etc you can still forward to an IMAP service and reply back through the domain email. That's what I do all the time with my websites rather than using the supplied email.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This would happen if the email was checked (and downloaded) onto another computer, thus instructing the POP server to clear its copy.
That isn't my understanding. As soon as the message is downloaded to the phone it is, in effect, a copy of the server message and independent from it. I have emails on my iPhone right now which have been cleared from the server, but still show on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Agreed, if this is recent behavior, someone with access (knowingly or unknowingly) has changed the POP settings in their client.

For info: Even if you have you're own domain etc you can still forward to an IMAP service and reply back through the domain email. That's what I do all the time with my websites rather than using the supplied email.
I'll see about grabbing a screen by screen comparison of our settings and compare them again, but the format is different between the two devices hich makes the comparison more difficult.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

Problem solved: the email account was set up as IMAP, not POP3. I don't know why it had been working ok until recently!

That explains the difference in the setting information between my phone and my wife's too!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That'll do it.

Glad you found a solution

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4 'ghost' connects to iTunes 11.0.4 | wiping/clearing ipads »