New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Was I wrong to recommend an iPad.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

When my brother-in-law came over here from Uruguay he was using an ancient laptop and a pretty cr***y tablet. Since he went home I've bought an iPad too. Having used Open Office on my iMac for some time, I assumed that the iPad could use it too.

I've downloaded Googledrive but that doesn't recognise .ods documents. I read online that IBM Symphony would recognise most 'Office' applications but the .dmg file I downloaded won't open on iPad.

If I download Pages, Numbers and Keypoint will it recognise their Open Office equivalents?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

"Assumed" is the key here. OO.org at this point in time has made it pretty clear they have no interest in porting OO to any of the tablet OSs. At around 200 million tablets in use at this time, and growing by over 100 million a year now, not sure what it's going to take for them to get their noses out of the air.

The iPad does not run OS X. It runs iOS. You cannot install any OS X app on an iPad, iPhone, iPod the same as you cannot install a Windows app in OS X (unless you're running Crossover, Parallels, etc.). Nor can you install any Windows app on an Android tablet.

The iWork suite for the iPad cannot open odf file types. It can open MS Office files. While I use OO or Libre at home (and have for many years), have never saved any documents in their odf formats since it's really only slightly more popular than... uhm... Linux.

As far as I am aware, all of the apps that work with odf files are web based and convert them for download to iDevices.
Not used any of them myself - but we should have someone here that could recommend one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
"Assumed" is the key here. OO.org at this point in time has made it pretty clear they have no interest in porting OO to any of the tablet OSs. At around 200 million tablets in use at this time, and growing by over 100 million a year now, not sure what it's going to take for them to get their noses out of the air.

The iPad does not run OS X. It runs iOS. You cannot install any OS X app on an iPad, iPhone, iPod the same as you cannot install a Windows app in OS X (unless you're running Crossover, Parallels, etc.). Nor can you install any Windows app on an Android tablet.

The iWork suite for the iPad cannot open odf file types. It can open MS Office files. While I use OO or Libre at home (and have for many years), have never saved any documents in their odf formats since it's really only slightly more popular than... uhm... Linux.

As far as I am aware, all of the apps that work with odf files are web based and convert them for download to iDevices.
Not used any of them myself - but we should have someone here that could recommend one.

Since starting this thread I have found an app called rollapp which will open an OO file from googledocs. As I haven't yet discovered how to access the virtual keyboard in this app and you need it to be connected to the internet to make it work this may not be the best solution.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

LIbre office are working on a port to Android and iOS, but it isn't ready yet, so the lack of open office type apps is not limited to iOS, its an Android issue too, but with the growing use of tablets, its becoming a platform nobody can ignore any longer

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
I've downloaded Googledrive but that doesn't recognise .ods documents.
The Google Drive app won't do anything with the file but you can use the web interface to convert files (and it supports odt documents so I'm going to guess that it supports ods files as well). You can set it to autoconvert or simply right click the file and choose the convert option. Once that's done, enjoy OS X, Android and iOS support.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VLC for iOS is now in the App Store . . . . | Accessibility difficulties »