New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Wireless Emergency Alerts on iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

So within the last year, the US government enacted some sort of law that required most cellular carriers to alert its customer base to AMBER alerts, weather alerts and Presidential alerts. So, in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, 4S and 5, there should be two toggles at the bottom of the Notification Center settings. The strange thing is, nobody I know who owns an iPhone (4, 4S, 5 on any of the major carriers) has these settings or has ever got an alert - in the Albuquerque area. I don't even have the toggles.

So what gives? We've had an AMBER alert or two since this started rolling out, and this summer, a couple Flash Flood Warning alerts from the weather office.

Does anyone have information on WEA?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
So within the last year, the US government enacted some sort of law that required most cellular carriers to alert its customer base to AMBER alerts, weather alerts and Presidential alerts. So, in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, 4S and 5, there should be two toggles at the bottom of the Notification Center settings. The strange thing is, nobody I know who owns an iPhone (4, 4S, 5 on any of the major carriers) has these settings or has ever got an alert - in the Albuquerque area. I don't even have the toggles.

So what gives? We've had an AMBER alert or two since this started rolling out, and this summer, a couple Flash Flood Warning alerts from the weather office.

Does anyone have information on WEA?
Your post has me a bit puzzled. I read about this at the beginning of the summer from a post on the forum. It rolled out in our area about mid June. I remember checking Notifications and it was there at the time but I don't see it now. Nor do I remember seeing any weather warnings though I think a few have been issued and I've gotten them through the Weather Channel app.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Your post has me a bit puzzled. I read about this at the beginning of the summer from a post on the forum. It rolled out in our area about mid June. I remember checking Notifications and it was there at the time but I don't see it now. Nor do I remember seeing any weather warnings though I think a few have been issued and I've gotten them through the Weather Channel app.
Same experience here. I had the alerts enabled on my Iphone4 iOS 6.x here (Minnesota) this summer. On June 21st we had a heck of a storm that dropped a tree on my home, took out the power, etc... About 15 minutes after the tree came through the roof, my iPhone started going nuts with flash flood warnings every 30 minutes or so. Needless to say, I was in no mood to be mocked by my iPhone's late and irrelevant alerts while I was on that same iPhone with my insurance company and power company. I disabled all of thsee alerts in "Notifications". I looked back about a week ago to try and find these settings again... and they appear to be gone.

I thought I might have imagined the whole thing. I feel sane again now. Thank you!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Same experience here..began getting a bunch of weather related alerts that didn't affect my region, so I went into Notification and disabled them. Later on, when I re-synced the phones I began getting alerts again ,but the option to disable them was gone..not sure what happened..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If the option to turn off notifications has been removed that is going to annoy me. I realize the importance of these alerts but don't particularly like the notion of someone else deciding whether I listen to them or not.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Mine are still there

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Only the Presidential alerts cannot be disabled. The other alerts can be.

The reason for the discrepancy some of you are seeing is that the program isn't fully implemented on all carriers yet, as well as the fact that only iOS 6.1 and higher are supported.

The update that turns on this ability comes in the form of a Carrier Settings update, so some of you may not have accepted that or seen it. The ability to turn off the AMBER and weather notifications is located at the dead bottom of the long list of Notifications preferences in your settings.

AT&T now pushing iPhone update to add Wireless Emergency Alert | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I have that OS version and AT&T. The notices were in notification center but aren't now on my iPhone 4. I only had two gripes about this:

1. Someone else gets to decide that I get that update. I have no say in the matter.
2/ In my case for weather I got more timely alerts from the Weather Channel app.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The ability to turn off the AMBER and weather notifications is located at the dead bottom of the long list of Notifications preferences in your settings.
Yep. It was there, but now is gone. At least for me.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Check with your carrier's engineering department about this. Maybe something has changed, but the weather and AMBER alerts should be optional. You can also try shutting the phone off/resetting, or even restoring to stock iOS 6.x and see if that makes a difference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes | 2 iPhones, 1 iMac, 2 Different Contact Lists..? »