New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Share some, but not all contacts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smaccomb

smaccomb is on a distinguished road

My wife and I currently have all our Contacts together but she no longer wants to see all my work-related contacts. Anyone have an elegant solution for us to share family and friend contacts but for me to also have my own work contacts . . . without having to toggle between different accounts? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am pretty sure the following will work. For testing purposes you might want to test using just a few contacts then apply to all if it is working as you desire. I'm assuming you are using Contacts on the Mac but other programs probably have similar functionality.

1. From Contacts on the Mac create a new Smart Group choose File>New Smart Group. In the sheet that appears name the Smart Group something appropriate such as Smaccomb's Work.

2. In the remainder of the sheet we are going to create a rule or series of rules based on something your work contacts have in common but different from family and others. Use the drop downs to set the rule to something like Note contains smaccomb's work. Close the sheet.

3. Go to the card for one of your co-workers. Make sure the Notes field is showing and enter smaccomb's work or whatever you entered as the contains field for the rule. Make sure it is entered exactly the same way.

4. On her devices go to Contacts and deselect the groups that are not supposed to be seen.
If this is working as desired you'll have to add your phrase to the notes field of all your work contacts. You'll do that only once.

I used a Smart Group because it Auto Updates. The next time you add a work contact simply include the appropriate message in the Notes field and that person is added to the group automatically.

Just in case you need to add a field to the existing cards see Contacts: Adding Fields & Changing the Card Template - The Mac Observer

You could also generate this rule based on any consistent characteristic as long as you change the rule accordingly and enter the information in the appropriate field.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Calculator app with Tax Functions | iCloud and multiple contact lists..help »