New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Can't completely delete contacts from Messages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheOneBillyX

TheOneBillyX will become famous soon enough

Hello

Ok, need your help. I trying to completely delete this person (ex-girlfriend) off my phone and despite deleting her from contacts, icloud, and every other possible place where her phone number is stored, her name and number still comes if I type her name in Messages. If I type her name in the "To" box, it's still listed. HELP!!!

Any advice?

(For the sake of me not doing anything stupid)
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Have you tried to boot your iPhone?
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Have you tried to boot your iPhone?
rebooting it completely? I haven't but I want to avoid that as much as possible

(le sigh...all this for one person...why are some girls so complicated?)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBillyX View Post
Hello

Ok, need your help. I trying to completely delete this person (ex-girlfriend) off my phone and despite deleting her from contacts, icloud, and every other possible place where her phone number is stored, her name and number still comes if I type her name in Messages. If I type her name in the "To" box, it's still listed. HELP!!!

Any advice?

(For the sake of me not doing anything stupid)
Umm don't type her name in Messages man. I know where your coming from, as i need to double check every msg i send now after a mishap msg going to the 'other' girl lol

What i could suggest it go into contacts on your Mac, make sure she is deleted from there completely, close down contacts and then go and find the contacts .plist and grab it to the and trash it (don't delete it yet)
Log out and back in, as well as doing a Hard reboot of iPhone/iPad by holding the Power button and Home button at the same time until it closes down. Then restart iPhone/iPad the normal way and see if it happens now.

Ill just go and get a path to the contacts.plist for you

ILL BE BACK

Well doesn't seem that Contacts has a .plist That i could find anyways, so then make sure she is deleted from contacts on ALL devices then reboot ALL devices and see if that helps you. If not you might have to delete you iCloud BackUps and hope for the best , , , ,
But as i said above, Just Don't Type HEr Name In To Messages

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Umm don't type her name in Messages man. I know where your coming from, as i need to double check every msg i send now after a mishap msg going to the 'other' girl lol

But as i said above, Just Don't Type HEr Name In To Messages

haha, if only it were that simply. The first two letters of her name are "Mo" so everytime i need to text my mom. Her name shows up for the first two letters.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Am guessing she's still listed in 'Mail', so open it up.

On the Menu bar go to 'Window'
Select 'Previous Recipients'
Delete from there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

OMG, it's been months but I finally figured out how to permanently delete contacts off my messenger! So a little update since my original post, my iPhone has been keeping a my exes phone number and despite deleting them off contacts, they show up if i type part of their name in messages.

I guess it's the new update but I'm now able to type their name, tap info, and "remove from recents" and tada, gone gone gone.

No more seeing Monica's name every time I try to text my mom. And no more temptation to text anybody else I had a bad relationship with....

Small victory but I feel cleansed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail App on iPad4 problem | Is there a way to replace twitter, facebook as default apps w/o jailbreak? »