New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPad Doesn't Wake From Sleep?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fyreous

fyreous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina MacBook Pro (15")

Hey all,

I came across a strange software glitch with my iPad (4th-Gen, Verizon) that I wanted to share the details about to see if anyone else has come across something similar?

I use my iPad daily, for so many things. One evening, I opened it up and the screen stayed black. So I pressed home, then power.... nothing happened. I plugged it in, thinking it was maybe low on battery. Still nothing. I finally did a 'hard reset' (hold power and home together for 15 seconds or so) and it booted up. Battery was at 92%, so I knew that was not the issue.

Anyways, I used it, put it aside, and then picked it up a little later. Same thing. Black screen, nothing turned it on except doing a 'hard reset' again.

I started experimenting... I put the iPad to sleep for a minute, and then opened it again. It worked fine.

Then I put the iPad to sleep for 2 minutes, and then opened it again. It worked fine.

Then I put it to sleep for 5 minutes, and then opened it again. BLACK SCREEN again! Only a 'hard reset' brought it back to life.

This behavior continued consistently, so I decided to back up and do an erase/restore of the iPad. This did not solve the issue, it still behaved the same way. A 2-minute or even 3-minute sleep would not freeze it up; but a 4 or 5-minute sleep would.

I took it into the Apple Store and they tried "re-flashing the firmware" (so they said). I then restored from my backup again. Same issue, still as before. After 4 - 5 minutes of sleep or longer, the iPad would STAY ASLEEP and only wake up via 'hard reset'.

Finally, in frustration, I restored the iPad and chose "Set Up As New iPad" from the iTunes menu. This FINALLY FIXED my problem! Now the iPad no longer freezes up in sleep mode.

=========================

My conclusing is that some app or something, that apparently made it into my backup, was causing this issue. The thing is, there had been no recent new apps that I had installed for over a week leading up to the strange behavior.

Anyone ever encountered a problem like this before? I am determined to try and figure out what was causing it... but I am at a loss so far.

Anyways - thanks for reading! If you have any insights to share, let me know!

-Mike

QUOTE Thanks
fyreous

fyreous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina MacBook Pro (15")

Well,

Looks like my issue wasn't fixed after all. As I began installing apps on my "set up as new" iPad again... the issue came back, exact same as before!

I took it to Apple, and they replaced it free of charge with a brand new unit. Even the Genius said he had never seen this issue before.

-Mike

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I took it to Apple, and they replaced it free of charge with a brand new unit. Even the Genius said he had never seen this issue before.
Glad to hear you have a new iPad. Isn't Apple service great?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Facebook app Network Errors | iPhone screw-up »