New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

First time sync. Lost Calendar Appts.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VT Paddler

VT Paddler is on a distinguished road

I have had my iPhone for 2 years, but never had a computer to back it up. I just inherited my wife's old Mac Book. Last night, I plugged the iPhone into the Mac Book to sync and back up the iPhone for the first time ever. Used iTunes. Accidentally had the box checked to "delete calendar appointments older than 30 days." Now, anything that I entered more than 30 days ago appears to be gone (including recurring appointments, and long-anticipated events that I entered months ago).

However, if I log in to my gmail, I can still see all of these deleted events in my google calendar (which I hadn't previously used). Is there a way that I can get them to show up on the Calendar program on my iPhone again? and on my Mac Book?

I'm new at this (syncing devices, etc.).
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If you follow the instructions below, select calendar sync and (I'd suggest) the CalDav option it will take you step by step syncing your google calendar with your iphone
iPhone & iPad : Google Sync Center - Google Help

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
VT Paddler

Thank you, mrplow. I haven't followed your recommendation yet, however, because I've since noticed that I have two different sets of appointments. My iPhone shows one set and my google calendar shows another. There doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can discern to which appointments ended up on which calendar. Please bear with me, as I said, I am new to syncing devices, but if I sync my iPhone with my google calendar as you suggest, will I lose the appointments that are in my iPhone? i.e., will it overwrite what is on my iPhone calendar with what is on my google calendar? or will it combine the two calendars into one calendar on my phone?

Thanks so much for your advice.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Which iPhone and version of iOS do you have?
You can go into Settings - General - About to check, if you don't know (it's model and version).

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
VT Paddler

It's a 3GS. Model MC640LL. Version 4.3.3 (8J2).
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That's quite a few versions back for the version of iOS you're running. You're only backup option is to use iTunes. So the first step is to connect to iTunes. Cancel any sync. Just right-click on your iphone in iTunes and choose backup.

Now you have a backup if anything goes wrong you can progress with the google calendar sync. As you go through you'll be given an option to keep you're existing data on your phone as you add google calendar data.

There are alternatives are to doing it this way. A manual way and an export from iCal to google. I can give details depending on which way you want to jump

QUOTE Thanks
VT Paddler

Thanks, mrplow. I followed your instructions exactly, and it fixed the problem with my iPhone. My iPhone calendar now shows all the appointments I've created (the ones that show up on iCal, plus all of the appointments that were in my google calendar). However, iCal on my Mac Book still only shows a small subset of the total appointments (iCal only shows appointments created within the last 30 days.). I've synced the iPhone with the computer a couple of times now, and iCal still doesn't show everything that is on the iPhone calendar. What is the solution?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Not sure what version of OSX you have but if you have the iCloud Panel in System Preferences this is what I'd suggest:
I'd disable the calendar syncing in iTunes.
Go to System Preferences - iCloud - Account
Add you google account here and choose to sync calendars

QUOTE Thanks
VT Paddler

I have snow leopard, and I do not see an iCloud panel under System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Ok, in that case......

Sync Google Calendar with Apple iCal - Calendar Help

QUOTE Thanks
VT Paddler

That seems to have worked. Thank you very much for all of your assistance!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow/glitzy behavior | Amazing disappearing iTunes files »