New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone screw-up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

domlanic

domlanic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13" 2012 8GB RAM

Hi all,

Transferred files to friend's iPhone 4S (6.1.3) using TransPod; now her phone has been taken over completely by mine! My ID & registration data appear on hers, she cannot access her phone at all.

WTF, Apple??
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You use a 3rd party utility to move stuff from your computer to your friends phone and amazingly it puts your info on it? How is that Apple's fault? Would suggest you get hold of the developer of that spamware tool you used and ask them.

Meanwhile, she's probably going to need to restore her phone from her computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You use a 3rd party utility to move stuff from your computer to your friends phone and amazingly it puts your info on it? How is that Apple's fault? Would suggest you get hold of the developer of that spamware tool you used and ask them.

Meanwhile, she's probably going to need to restore her phone from her computer.
You assume it is spamware? Interesting. Apple iTunes works in one direction only, another restrictive practice that encourages 3rd party developers to compensate for deficient software. I have also purchased music from iTunes that has gone missing and I cannot get it back (had to change my email address so don't know how to get the old stuff).
We are not all experts so don't abuse me for my lack of knowledge; in other fields you will be equally incompetent, no doubt.
Apple might make it more obvious how to transfer files, then no need of other software. How much 3rd party software do YOU use on your Macs, by the way??

She doesn't use a computer any more, just the iPhone

Guess my frustration spilled over; Apple is much better than 'the other vendor' at making PC's for dummies but my level of dummydom may be too much even for Apple

Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don't...
Bertrand Russell
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domlanic View Post
My ID & registration data appear on hers, she cannot access her phone at all.
I'm confused. If you can't access the phone, how do you know that your data is stuck on there? If you can access it, why not just log out of your account? More importantly, what did you put on her phone (I can't think of anything that would do this)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Changing your email address wont stop you accessing your account. Your AppleID might be johnsmith@fred.com but that's just a user name. You can still use it even if you don't have that account anymore.
Once you're logged into iTunes you can copy purchased music from your iphone into iTunes or re-download it straight into iTunes.

Even if you do have music on you're phone that's stuck on there you can use the tool you have to copy it back into iTunes.

Once that's sorted you can connect your friends iphone, restore it to factory fresh and re-set it up copying music etc onto it.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I'm confused. If you can't access the phone, how do you know that your data is stuck on there? If you can access it, why not just log out of your account? More importantly, what did you put on her phone (I can't think of anything that would do this)?
I'm even more confused! Her phone is now MY phone- has all my data and the Settings>General>About information (serial and IMEI numbers), that is a CLONE of my iPhone!!
Appreciate your suggestions; she's gone off in a big tanty so perhaps an Apple reseller will help her...
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I tried a factory reset but not having done it before could not get a result. Truthfully I don't know what I'm doing! The irony is I had said earlier Apple products are great- "it just works"
Now have holes in both feet

Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don't...
Bertrand Russell
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I have no idea what happened. I still need to know what you tried to put on the iPhone.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Transpod is not capable of cloning phones. So we're missing something from the original post I think. Changing a devices IMEI number is not something easily done.

That aside,
It would help if you could describe exactly what you try and exactly what message and results are received.

A factory reset on the phone involves going to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content & Settings
You'll be asked to confirm the action. After a few minutes the phone will reboot into the multi-lingual welcome screen as it would have done fresh out of the box.
Which part of this process isn't completing/giving the error?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have not "assumed" anything related to that software. This forum and a great many others have been spammed repeatedly by that particular developer Wondershare - hence the name "spamware".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Love how this is somehow Apple's fault. I'd facepalm if I wasn't laughing so hard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Doesn't Wake From Sleep? | Yahoo Mail App on iPhone »