New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Is there any way to limit Facebook use on iPad and iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kschrav

kschrav is on a distinguished road

I use "Stayfocused" on my Macbook, but it's a Google Chrome extension and Chrome isn't supported for mobile platforms.

Likewise with "Leechblock", a Firefox extension. Good for Macbook, but apparently not supported for iPad/ iPhone.

I can't find any apps in the store that limit Facebook.

Surely there must be something I'm missing? I imagine I'm not the only one searching for something like this. There are dozens of versions of this idea available for desktop, but they're not much use if you can circumvent them just by picking up the phone or iPad. Any tips gratefully appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hold down the FB icon until it starts to shake, then hit the x and delete it. Sure way of limiting FB usage, or be a lot more diciplined in your surfing habits

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
kschrav

Touché. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
kschrav

Thank you for the kind tone of your reply, chas_m.

I don't have ADD. Just a regular person who finds the "5 minutes here, 10 minutes there" throughout the day adding up to a lot of wasted time. A simple solution would be a time limiter that blocks FB after, say, a 20 minute time limit is reached.

You're right, of course, that self-control is the best remedy. And I guess if we all had the ability to be perfectly laser-focussed at every moment of the day, there wouldn't be any productivity apps on the marketplace, or any need for self-help books about time management, organisational systems, etc.

I could delete FB, but like many others, I enjoy using it in small doses.

I do appreciate the life advice, although I am still interested to hear if anyone is able to answer my question about whether a product like this is available.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschrav View Post
although I am still interested to hear if anyone is able to answer my question about whether a product like this is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
there is no app to fill in for a lack of discipline or focus.
Chas has it right .. . . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
kschrav

TattooedMac: So I guess the answer to my actual question is "no", then. Or at least, not as far as you're aware.

I did ask a technical question, not a philosophical one. But I thank you for your kind efforts to help me better manage my life. (!)

Incidentally, there are plenty of apps that do just that, help with discipline and focus - just none I can find for a mobile platform. The desktop versions have been used and lauded by plenty of high-profile people who've experienced success across many fields. Check out StayFocused - it's fantastic. You can use it to block any number of preselected sites at specific times - say, forums, if you find you're ever distracted by such things... not that I imagine you would ever have that problem... ;-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Importing AddressBook Contacts | Where is my app? »