Two pop accounts problem
    I would like to add two mail boxes as, depending on whether I am on my home network or cellular network, although I use the same pop code, I have to use different smtp codes. However, when I attempt this my phone informs me that i already have a pop mail box with the same pop settings. What is this? Seems ridiculous. Am I missing something?

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB
    Why pop. Can't you use IMAP instead?
    I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    You can have multiple accounts using the same settings, so long as the email address differs.

Can you give more details please:
    Which platforms/devices? OSX/windows/iOS iPhone/iPad etc etc
    Which mail client are you using?
    What are the exact error messages you're getting and when?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    You can have multiple accounts using the same settings, so long as the email address differs.

Can you give more details please:
    Which platforms/devices? OSX/windows/iOS iPhone/iPad etc etc
    Which mail client are you using?
    What are the exact error messages you're getting and when?
    I am setting up a new account on Mail my iPhone (iOS 6).
    The error message is The POP account XXXX is already configured.
    The point is that the POP code (Host Name) IS the same as I am downloading from the same host (My web host who also host my mail server). The SMTP codes are different because I am SENDING via different servers (My internet service provider on wifi at home) vs my cell phone service provider when away from home (3G). I want two accounts so as not to have change a whole bunch of setting when I connect at home.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Email settings do not differ by where you are (home/work/in the car/etc) or transport you're using (3G/wifi/lte/etc)

E.g.
    John Smith has two email accounts with gmail
    jsmith@gmail.com
    johnsmith@gmail.com

The settings would be pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com for both accounts. The only differing information would be the the email address and possibly, the passwords.

If your getting an error about the account already existing its likely you haven't amended the description field in the email settings. But the exact error wording would help.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

My Email account is hosted by a webhost. There is a POP code associated with that host (and an SMTP code, however they do not provide my internet connection). At home my internet connection is provided by Telkom. I therefore SEND mail via Telkom. If not at home I am o the net via 3G ie mervice provider os Voda, therefore I SEND mail via Voda's SMTP server. However, in both instanced I am still DOWNLOADING from my Webhost (POP server). So, POP code the same, SMTP server not the same. Thjis is how it is set up on my Macbook and every machine I have had. My iPhone doesnt seem to like this plan. It seems to have failed to anticipate this situation.

Specs:
    Sorry but that's not how it works. Please re-read my post. Where you send from, via 3G, wifi, your ISP, someone else's ISP it doesn't matter.

Every email provider has a pop server and an smtp server. They are unique to that provider not to the method you connect.

Once you have the pop and smtp settings for a particular account enter them into your iphone. Repeat with any email account you wan't to use.

Thread Information