New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iOS File Sharing App

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tk0117

tk0117 is on a distinguished road

I'm searching for an iOS app (for iPad) that lets me set up folders/sub folders on my computer, and then syncs and stores them (along with their content) on my iPad (and not my computer).

I have used fileshare, and cinex, which both allow me to store data/files/folders on iPad, but whats missing is my ability to create folders on the computer.

e.g. I have cinex open in itunes, I drag a file (say an .mp4) into the app, and it is then available on my iPad (and stored there)-after syncing, of course. If I want to place that movie/file in a folder, or sub-folder, I am limited to creating that folder ON the iPad, where I want to set up a bunch of folders on my computer, but keep the media stored on the iPad, and not the computer (I don't want to use dropbox for this either).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You might give TeamViewer for iOS a try. It should allow you to setup folders on your Mac or PC. The syncing of them to your iPad is another matter though as I'm not sure how you would accomplish that. TeamViewer for personal use is free.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk0117 View Post
I'm searching for an iOS app (for iPad) that lets me set up folders/sub folders on my computer, and then syncs and stores them (along with their content) on my iPad (and not my computer).

I have used fileshare, and cinex, which both allow me to store data/files/folders on iPad, but whats missing is my ability to create folders on the computer.

e.g. I have cinex open in itunes, I drag a file (say an .mp4) into the app, and it is then available on my iPad (and stored there)-after syncing, of course. If I want to place that movie/file in a folder, or sub-folder, I am limited to creating that folder ON the iPad, where I want to set up a bunch of folders on my computer, but keep the media stored on the iPad, and not the computer (I don't want to use dropbox for this either).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
What is the reason for not wanting to use DropBox?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
tk0117

I don't want to use drop box because there would be scenarios where I would want to access these files when I was offline. This wouldn't be a problem if I was accessing these files on my computer (since the files would be stored locally), but with the mobile versions of drop box, you need to be online to access the files-which is why the apps I mention work (because they store files on the mobile device) but again, I have no ability to set folders up elsewhere (not on the mobile platform).
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk0117 View Post
I don't want to use drop box because there would be scenarios where I would want to access these files when I was offline. This wouldn't be a problem if I was accessing these files on my computer (since the files would be stored locally), but with the mobile versions of drop box, you need to be online to access the files-which is why the apps I mention work (because they store files on the mobile device) but again, I have no ability to set folders up elsewhere (not on the mobile platform).
mark your files as favourites in the Dropbox app and they are stored locally on your iDevice for offline use

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
tk0117

Well Chas, thanks for an absolutely worthless comment - a huge help that was. Sounds like you know a lot about tools. You've got no idea what and why I would be searching for an app like this, so please don't suggest the "right" way to do it.

And Mr. Plow, thanks, I'll give that a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
tk0117

Dropbox works that way, but I can't favorite folders, only files....so still no go :/
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You may have a different solution now but . . . Box.com (google around and you can bag a 50gb free account) offers a similar service to dropbox but their app allows folders to be marked as favourites not just files.

Box opens 50GB free promotion to all new subscribers | Mobile | Geek.com

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ical events disappearing | i phone 4 »