New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Is syncing safe...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fak119

fak119 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OS X 10.9.3(13D65); iPad2; New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011

In iTunes, on my iPad device, I ticked under the Summary Options "Manually manage music and videos".

Yet when I want to sync my music, the following warning appears:

"Are you sure you want to sync music? All existing content on the iPad “fak” will be removed and replaced with songs and playlists from your iTunes library."

I am afraid now that indeed all existing content on the iPad is removed!

How can I be sure that only my playlists are updated?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you want to manually manage, then you'll need to use drag and drop to add from iTunes to your iPad.

Even while you have manually manage checked, if you head directly to the music / video tab and tell it to sync there, then it's going to wipe your iPad and sync it to match what you have checked in iTunes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fak119

fak119 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OS X 10.9.3(13D65); iPad2; New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011

And if I sync "generally", i.e. not under the MUSIC tab?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If the iPad has never been synced with that computer - am pretty sure it's going to wipe everything the first time you sync it to iTunes on that machine. Give it a try - iTunes has always given me a warning prior to syncing if it is going to erase my music.

Do a backup of your iPad before syncing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PDF annotater across computers. Exists? | Looking for a interval app »