New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

ipad mini on/off switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ceej

Ceej is on a distinguished road

The on/off sleep wake switch on my ipad mini keeps not working and I have to reset the ipad to get it working again, has anyone else had this problem
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Have you tried it with a smart cover? Does the smart cover turn it on and off? If it does - then it could be a mechanical issue with the switch - and worth bringing it into an Apple Store. If the Smart cover doesn't turn it off either - then it may be software - where it may be worth it to do a clean restore and see if the functionality comes back.
QUOTE Thanks
Ceej

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I have a smart cover which doesn't switch it off so I thought it may be a software issue which other users may have experienced. Is a clean restore same as the restore available in settings? If it is then I have done that twice and it works for a while only to stop again.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

That restore button is what I am talking about - so you've done as I have suggested.

When you say it works for a while - what do you mean? Do you do a restore from backup that loads all your stuff back onto the iPad Mini? Or do you keep it clean - and then it stops working still? The difference is - I've found that restore from backup will cause the same problems happening - so it is better to reload Apps by hand if you are having problems like this or battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I have a smart cover which doesn't switch it off so I thought it may be a software issue which other users may have experienced. Is a clean restore same as the restore available in settings? If it is then I have done that twice and it works for a while only to stop again.
You should try the restore in iTunes. This way you can get a new download of the current iOS. If this fails and you still have the same issue I would take it into an Apple store for further investigation.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
Ceej

Thanks to MoTM and JohnCL for their replies, I have the latest iOS so I will restore from itunes on my iMac and then try the apple store if no luck. Thanks to you both again for your swift replies.
Happy new year.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange issue with closing and opening books in iBooks - changing to different book o | Syncing Mac world with Windows »