New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Erased Hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattmac16

mattmac16 is on a distinguished road

i really need help. My macbook air was having problems, certain apps like pages would constantly give me the beach ball of death and it would not leave. In pages case every time i would right-click it would freeze and the beach ball would come up. I decided to erase my hardrive hoping it would solve the problem but now i can't start my computer. It's a macbook air so i can't insert the disk and i didn't exactly purchase mountain lion on my apple id so i can't reinstall the software. i seem to have hit a dead end please help me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What version of OS X was on your Air and how did you erase the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
mattmac16

osx mountain lion which i did download illegaly, which i regret doing now, i erased after i held command and r when turning on and it brought me to a reboot
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I understand. Let's forget about the illegal download, I believe you've learned the pitfalls of that.... Give Apple customer service a call at 1-800-MY-APPLE and order Lion on a flash drive. The other option is to use an external optical drive to perhaps boot the machine with a Snow Leopard DVD which you can buy from Apple for $19.99. You didn't mention which MBA you have, therefore I don't know if Snow Leopard can be used. Which version of OS X originally came with your MBA?
QUOTE Thanks
mattmac16

i think it was lion
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If your MBA came pre-installed with Lion, then you can't install Snow Leopard. Do you have an Apple ID? If you do, you may be able to download Lion without having to pay for it again. In any event, you probably need to call Apple at the number I provided above and find out what your options are.
QUOTE Thanks
mattmac16

ok i will thanks but if i no longer have macintosh hd as a drive is that bad
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

No, that's only temporary because you erased the SSD in your MBA. Once you install Lion again everything will return to normal. After Lion is installed, you can then purchase Mountain Lion from the App store for $20.
QUOTE Thanks
mattmac16

Thanks i called apple and they told me to bring it into the apple store and that they could reinstall mountain lion for me. Thanks for your help it realy was usefull.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Linking two phones with one computer | icloud/iphone password ? »