New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Screen Sharing app for iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seventh

Seventh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2

I know this has to have been asked ad nauseum, but Google and searching the App Store is getting so full of overdone utility apps and/or spammy garbage, I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction.

All I'm looking for is a way to remotely control my OSX machines from my iPad/iPhone over my home wifi. Is there a plane jane Screen Sharing app out there? It's not a big deal to run a VNC server on all of my macs, but for the few times I'd use it I'd hate to always have to have it running.

The other night I was in bed, and realized that I forgot to shut my iMac off. It seems like a no brainer that I should be able to just grab my phone from the nightstand to remote in and do it, but I can't seem to find the right app for the job.

Any insight/opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

There are some that work really well.

IMO:
* The KING is LogMeIn, and their free app works very well, and it seems to be the most stable. i have the server running on my MacMini. I got a good deal on their paid app. Works over the internet outside of your local network.
* Splashtop is also very good, and their top product is much cheaper than LogMeIn's app. Works over the internet outside of your local network.
* My Mac works good, but you have to make sure you go in and enable remote sharing on the Mac side. Can work over the internet outside of your local network. This is the screen sharing app - but again, you have to set up the sharing on the Mac yourself.

Personally, I recommend Splashtop more than LogMeIn even though I use LogMeIn more often because it is a quicker and slightly easier setup for most. I use LogMeIn more because it is more robust and I manage 13 different computers with it remotely and 4 of those are for family so I dont have to go to their houses, everything I can do remotely. LogMeIn also covers all the major operating systems.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've used one called Remoter VNC that works perfectly well for my basic needs.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I've had issues with Splashtops virtual driver since Mountain Lion. Prefer logmein for it's stability.

Take a look at TeamViewer too.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Seventh

Seventh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2

Thanks for the replies!

I'm trying to stay away from the ones that are primarily aimed at people who want to use it over the internet - all I need is wifi, so the more basic the better. I did consider LogMeIn, but I'd like to avoid poking holes in my firewall to go out and come back in when I should be able to (hopefully) find something that can just go across my local LAN.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Again I will suggest Remoter VNC, as that's what it's designed to do.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Again I will suggest Remoter VNC, as that's what it's designed to do.
Agreed a simple VNC client is all that's required for local lan situations.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gps | Face time and iMessenger - Parental controls? »