New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone 5 battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SJWatt

SJWatt is on a distinguished road

I have had my iPhone 5 for a week now and I am concerned about how quickly the battery runs down. I have switched off just about everything in the background but between midnight and midday today the battery has run down by 26% and I haven't even used it. Does anyone out there consider this to be normal or do I have dodgy battery?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If there's nothing running and you genuinely haven't used it then that's not right.

Do a hard reboot (hold sleep/wake & home until the screen goes black and the apple logo appears).
Charge the phone to 100% then put it to sleep. Check it an hour intervals.

However if you're still get notifications, emails, text messages etc then I'd say a 1-2% drop per hour is as expected

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Bluetooth and iCloud backups would be another area to look at.
QUOTE Thanks
SJWatt

Thanks for your responses. I'll give the hard re boot a try and report back, thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
SJWatt

Hard re boot appears to have worked. Battery performance much improved!! Very grateful thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Sounds like a 'rogue' app still using CPU.

Glad it's sorted for you

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
suzette123

suzette123 is on a distinguished road

Apple has a long history of battery problms in its products, and it looks like the iPhone 5 is no different.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzette123 View Post
Apple has a long history of battery problms in its products, and it looks like the iPhone 5 is no different.
No more than anyone else but where they do reign supreme is in hours of use before needing a charge versus the competition.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzette123 View Post
Actually, it doesn't have a long history of battery problems at all. Dunno why you made that up, but if you want to talk battery problems, let's talk Sony. Or Dell. Or HP.

Also, you may not have noticed but a simple reset fixed the issue. I would hardly call this a "problem," would you?
QUOTE Thanks
familychoice

familychoice is on a distinguished road

I upgraded last week from a 3gs, and while the iPhone 5 uses a bit more juice I'm still getting a day+ use out of a single charge.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Things to keep in mind when upgrading to an iPhone 5 LTE will consume more battery than 4G/3G.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 3gs ios 4.0 apps cannot sync on computer to installed it on my iphone 3gs..?? | iPhone backup ARRRRRRGGGGHH! »