New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Does anyone use SIRI everyday?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mockney

mockney will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Hi All,

I was excited to get my hands on my Iphone 5, I upgraded from the original 4 and was keen to use the new features one of which was SIRI.

After using the phone for a little while I have found that day to day I never use her at all, often I forget she's even a function on the phone and I am a litle dissapointed she has not made more of an impact.

Maybe someone here can give me some hints or tips that will raise her profile with me.

What is it that you use SIRI everyday for?.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Weather, reminders, setting alarm, playing music, launching applications.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
mockney

mockney will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Weather, reminders, setting alarm, playing music, launching applications.
Hmmm. ok but let me say this:-

Playing music - I like to browse, so no direct command. Plus all the other points you mention its so easy to launch apps or look at the weather set an alarm using the screen. I doubt it saves much time actually asking SIRI to do those things for me.

No, I cant see myself using SIRI for that.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

SIRI is good for finding something while you're driving - or even if you don't want to type something long into Google Maps. I use it primarily for that - and not every day. She's very useful for finding locations, restaurants - things like that. She's also useful for setting reminders - and voice dialing. That's about all I user her for on a regular basis. Once in a while to play a song. She get's most of her use when I'm driving.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
SIRI is good for finding something while you're driving - or even if you don't want to type something long into Google Maps. I use it primarily for that - and not every day. She's very useful for finding locations, restaurants - things like that. She's also useful for setting reminders - and voice dialing. That's about all I user her for on a regular basis. Once in a while to play a song. She get's most of her use when I'm driving.
Yep only use her when I can't use my hands. Especially driving since it's illegal in California. Yet I still see people with phones up to their ears while they are driving. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I often (but not every day) use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations. I ask about movies playing locally a lot. I set reminders and "text while driving" using Siri A LOT, since there is NO WAY I can text and drive.

Siri is FAR from done, trust me on this. It will take a while, but eventually you (everyone) will use voice assistants like Siri a lot more than you do now.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As everyone has stated when driving yes sometimes if I am busy doing something else that I don't have time to look up or locate.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I've only had my iPhone 5 about a month and didn't have Siri before that on my iPhone 4. So I forget sometimes that I can use it for various tasks, etc. I did just last night to set a reminder. Super easy and worked great. As mentioned, Siri is not a finished product yet and I'm sure we'll all find it a lot more useful in the future.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I have Siri on my iPad - and I do try to use it - it is good for sending quick texts, launching applications, looking up games. For example - if I want to see what time a football game is on - I have to open either a web browser or sports app and navigate to the proper place. With Siri - I just ask one question - What time is the Broncos game? Siri will have that up faster than me navigating.

Have you tried setting a reminder? It should be much faster to set it via Siri than using the calendar app.

Also - I have been trying the dictation - instead of typing. Although it isn't perfect - it is usually much faster to fix the dictation errors - than to type on the iPad.

One thing I wished it had - which isn't available right now - is access to more Settings. I asked Siri to turn on Bluetooth - for example - and Siri cannot do that. It would be nice if I could do stuff like that - it would save a lot of screen taps.

I have friends who use it to text and drive (not that I agree with this, but it is better than actually typing while driving)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations.
And how does this work Chas ?? Does the Restaurant you choose have a online booking system, or something digital to that effect at the premises ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

[QUOTE=TattooedMac;1471459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations.

And how does this work Chas ?? Does the Restaurant you choose have a online booking system, or something digital to that effect at the premises ??
Siri uses Open Table to make reservations. So... maybe the restaurant has to be available with Open Table? I'm just guessing, but it seems like that's how it probably works.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

[QUOTE=MYmacROX;1471492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

Siri uses Open Table to make reservations. So... maybe the restaurant has to be available with Open Table? I'm just guessing, but it seems like that's how it probably works.
And is this a App from the iTunes Store ?? Very curious is all because Down Under i have a feeling we are missing out on the full potential of Siri. I use her as others have, send text via Bluetooth/Siri, look up scores, weather and so on, but have never heard of Open Table.
I know as the years go by developers will jump on the bandwagon, but you friends over the pond get a lot more with her . . . .. ???

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

OpenTable is a website that has an app available. It's a great way to make reservations at restaurants that support OpenTable. I didn't realize Siri supported OpenTable. I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks for the info.

This post has been dictated and read.
Dictated but not read - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, Siri takes advantage of the Open Table app on my iPad. Open Table offers a list of restaurants (not every single one, but where I am a very good selection) and available times. Siri has a built-in capability for presenting nearby restaurants and reviews, and so once I decide what restaurant I want, I can just say "Make a reservation for two at eight o'clock" and it leverages the existing Open Table app (if available) to do so.

It is the most like "living in the future" I have gotten to so far.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

No Open Table in the UK either.

But I use SIRI for Cinema times, setting timers when cooking (every day), setting reminders, calendar events, occasional app opening, text messaging. Much more than I thought I would.

Would love it if Spotify could hook into SIRI like the standard music app does.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to redownload purchased app that has been deleted | 3G Question »