New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Kingston Wi Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaveEvans

DaveEvans is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.4 C2D - 8GB - 240GB SSD/256GB HDD, ATV2, iPhone 4

Am looking at getting m first iPad and am thinking the 16GB. I am also thinking about adding the Kingston Wi Drive in my IOS family due to having movie capability on other iPads as well as iPhones. Has anyone had any experience with these? See the link for product information.

Wi-Drive | Kingston
QUOTE Thanks
DaveEvans

Sorry, should have added this to the hardware section. Just a nube!
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Haven't tried the Kingston. I did get a Seagate GoFlex Wireless - similar concept.
Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate
You'll have to look into what the Kingston runs - but the Seagate GoFlex is running a version of linux so you can load on various plugins. I was able to get ssh and smb working so I could stream movies to apps like goodplayer.
Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi Samba Modification | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

Plus it has 500GB which is better for storing a lot of media. That being said - it is the platter hard drive technology with all the MTBF mechanical badness that - that entails. Have to be more delicate with the transport - but it is a mobile drive so it has done well for me so far.
QUOTE Thanks
DaveEvans

From what I hear on the SeaGate is that it does not actually stream the media but drops the file on the device when ready to use? I like the Wi Drive as it allows you to truly stream the media (can access movies through the device browser), can have up to three devices synced and playing without degradation, and can bridge the internet connection on the device so you can maintain internet access while logged in.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold

Well - I know when I have samba running - and I use goodplayer the Seagate streams. I really didn't care for the built in Seagate app. The Seagate app did have streaming - but it didn't seem to support as many files as goodplayer did. You definitely did not have to copy data from the Seagate drive to view movies.

Quote:
Wireless streaming storage for your tablet

The Seagate Satellite™ device lets you take your media library on-the-go and stream it wirelessly to your iPad®, Android® tablets, and smartphones.

Take more than 300 HD movies on-the-go*
Stream media over Wi-Fi to 8 devices at the same time
Automatically sync media and documents from your PC or Mac computer
Easily access and stream your media using the free app or your device’s web browser
Up to 7 hours battery life**
There is some old information around - older firmware didn't support internet bridging - but the latest firmware does have the bridge feature now.
QUOTE Thanks
DaveEvans

Cool! Took a look at it again in the SeaGate site. Thanks for the information as it looks like most have gone with this drive mainly due to price point and size.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

That is why I went with the Seagate drive as well. If I am going to be dealing with media then flash based drives don't have the capacity. Generally it is about a gig per movie for decent encoding. (Maybe 700 GB but you get the picture.) 500 GB is a pretty decent size for carrying around a movie collection.
QUOTE Thanks
DaveEvans

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad and Magazine | Google Maps for iOS seems imminent ... »