Thread: iphone battery

Question iphone battery
    Should I replace battery or iphone

My iphone 4s battery is fading fast, won't hold a charge. $80 plus shipping to replace battery, $99 plus contract to replace phone with same model.
    to early to upgrade at reasonable price.....advice?

This is kinda early for the battery in a 4S to be dying. Before you go and replace it, try doing a hard reset. Sometimes battery drain is caused by something that is hung in the background. I experienced this with my 3GS some time back and a hard reset cured it. You can verify if this is the problem by first fully charging your iPhone, then take it off the charger and later in the day, after it has had plenty of idle time and some usage, check some stats. Open Settings and go to General > Usage. If the times for Usage and Standby are identical despite having sat idle for a bit after a full charge, then something is hung in the background.

To do a hard reset, press the Home button and keep it held. Then quickly press the Lock button up top and keep both pressed until it reboots and you see the Apple logo.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thank you......will try this today!

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    This is kinda early for the battery in a 4S to be dying. Before you go and replace it, try doing a hard reset. Sometimes battery drain is caused by something that is hung in the background. I experienced this with my 3GS some time back and a hard reset cured it. You can verify if this is the problem by first fully charging your iPhone, then take it off the charger and later in the day, after it has had plenty of idle time and some usage, check some stats. Open Settings and go to General > Usage. If the times for Usage and Standby are identical despite having sat idle for a bit after a full charge, then something is hung in the background.

To do a hard reset, press the Home button and keep it held. Then quickly press the Lock button up top and keep both pressed until it reboots and you see the Apple logo.
    Good advice. I've noticed rapid battery drain with almost no apps running on my 5. Then again, with iOS 6 and LTE and new phone, who knows if this is the solution or not. But doesn't hurt to try. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Thread Information