New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Syncing 2 ipod touchs with same computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrJRBMiller

MrJRBMiller is on a distinguished road

I am in need of some help. I know what i am trying to do but I do not know how to do it. I now have a ipod touch for myself and one for my wife. We want to have access to all of the same music to sync to our iPods. We also want to sync tv shows to our ipods. Some of the shows we both watch. I want to be able to not have to have 2 copies on my hard drive of any of the music or shows that we both use but be able to have the TV show marked as watched seperatley so I know which episode I am on and she know what episode she is on. WE have one windows Laptop that we want to use to store and sync all or our media from. We are running iOS 6 out the new 5th gen iPod touch. I tried to create seperate libarys but then I ran into a few issues. When I would add a tv show to my libary it would not show up in her libary. To make it show up in her libary I clicked file and add folder to libary and clicked on the original itunes folder. But that added everything back to her libary including the shows that I wathc that she does not like and deleted from her libary. How can I make this work? Any ideas would be great.

So in a nut shell I want to sync two iOS 6 devices on the same computer and have there be a way for us both the keep track with the watched function in iTunes of what epsiode we are on and with out having 2 copies of any files on my computer. THank you.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Have two users on the laptop. Each with a copy of iTunes.
The iTunes library media is kept in a shared folder. User 1 has iTunes set to 'keep organised' and import new items into the library. User 2 has iTunes set to leave media where it is. This way you just have a single library but each user can access it and maintain play counts/watched/unwatched etc.
The caveat is that anything added to the library needs to be added by the 'master' user and then added again by the second user as iTunes won't dynamically update when a folders contents change.

The alternative is to have two users and have the 'master' user share out the entire library using home sharing. Never tried this on a Windows platform but it should work OK. It will mean that both users will need to be logged in so that the second user can access the shared library

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think mrplow may be overthinking this.

You can certainly have multiple iOS devices on a single account using the same iTunes account and purchased apps, media, etc.

Each iDevice keeps its own track of what has been watched etc on that device. So I don't think there would be any problem if (for example) you watched an episode of a show and she hadn't yet. It was report as being unseen on her device and seen on yours.

I have several iDevices myself (a couple of iPods, an iPad and an iPhone) and it all syncs and works beautifully.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens when you watch a tv show on your iPhone and and then sync to iTunes? The watched marker in iTunes is set isn't it?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, it would be set inside iTunes. But really what's easier?

I understand what the op wants - but that's a lot of unnecessary work where each user now has to be aware of what the other one has done instead of opening up the video app before syncing and looking at the last show they watched - which would take all of maybe 5 seconds.

My wife and I both use the same Apple ID. And keeping track of 2 iTunes accounts is a whole lot harder than checking to see what show they each want to sync next. If each one of them purchases apps, music &/or video, a year down the road, they'll have no clue whether those 2 iTunes accounts are the same or not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Instead of opening up the video app before syncing and looking at the last show they watched
That's assumes syncing is done manually and not automatically over wifi.

However I agree. It's not the smoothest or elegant solution. We have multiple devices on one library and just ignore the watched unwatched marker.

But that's down to the OP as to what how important the requirement is.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post

But that's down to the OP as to what how important the requirement is.
Agreed.

But, sometimes you just have to advise they really don't want what they're asking for unless they'd like to drastically increase the amount of work they need to do in order to achieve it (and in this case, an ongoing continual basis).

Don't think I've ever checked that watched/unwatched marker when I sync as I typically will load the whole season at one time and not sure what the wife does as she just doesn't sync hers very often.

There should be a more elegant way to achieve what the op wants, but I can't think of one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

She could get her own computer..

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBooks disappeared after updating to iOS6 | Ipad and Fibre Quilt Art »