New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Having a Hard Time with the iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kooler

Kooler is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

Hey-
this will take some getting used to.

I have a bunch of basic questions, but one I was wondering so I do not use all of my data, is do I have to make sure Safari or other Apps are closed or disconnected so that they are not running in the background and using data? is there a way on the iPhone 5 to make sure Safari is closed after I use it and not using data? If I go back to the Home page does that mean Safari got disconnected after I used it?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The easiest way to close Safari is to Double click on your Home Button and that will bring up a Row of Apps that are Running. Hold your finger on one of them as you would to delete one, once done this will bring up a - sign in a Red Circle. Press that and now Safari is closed down..... You can do this to all your Apps to save Battery as well

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

Thanks Tatt-
so all the icons that came up with the - in the red circle are apps that are running. Safari was one of them. It uses data when Safari is running does it not? Are there some that should come up when I double click the home button? Like Maps came up too. Does Maps use Data or just when I am using it? anyones you suggest I leave when I double click the home button? a lot came up for me because I forgot to scroll to the right.

There are already icon impressions in the LCD (if the screen is LCD) left by the usual home icons. that surprises me since this is brand new or it is supposed to be brand new
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The iPhone doesn't typically keep tasks running in the background, unless they're absolutely necessary. So, when you're not actively using Safari, it is essentially "paused" and not consuming data.

Regardless, most data plans run around 2GB/mo. That's actually a good bit of data if you're not constantly downloading videos, music and other multimedia rich content on a very regular basis on 3G/4G. If you reserve those activities for times that you're on WiFi, chances are you'll be fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

When I scroll to the left there is a set-up like it is a sound system, there is an arrow like you hit to Play and one that goes all the way to the end (right) and to the end (left) and thee is a semi circle that when I touch it it says "portrait orientation locked" and when I touch it again it says Portrait orientation unlocked, what is this? there is a volume adjuster.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler View Post
When I scroll to the left there is a set-up like it is a sound system, there is an arrow like you hit to Play and one that goes all the way to the end (right) and to the end (left) and thee is a semi circle that when I touch it it says "portrait orientation locked" and when I touch it again it says Portrait orientation unlocked, what is this? there is a volume adjuster.
Those are your controls for the music player. So, for example, if you have music playing while you're doing other things on the phone, you can quickly flip to that section to adjust the volume or change the song (or go back a song).

The portrait orientation keeps the screen from switching from portrait to landscape mode as you tilt the phone.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

thanks CWA-

so you are saying it is not best to close the apps that would be using data? I went to a secure site in Safari to check my Verizon account and I could not figure out how to close that so it was not available to anybody else.

when I double click the home button and it shows the desktop why are there icon impressions of the usual icons that are there normally? Is that normal to have that? It looks like the icons have burned their impression into the screen.

wow, there is a lot I need to learn about this phone. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
The Portrait orientation Locked is so when you rotate your iphone it won't change from portrait to landscape. The Volume adjustment is for the volume obviously and the play/pause is for music.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

You should probably have a look at this:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
thanks CWA-

so you are saying it is not best to close the apps that would be using data? I went to a secure site in Safari to check my Verizon account and I could not figure out how to close that so it was not available to anybody else.
When you're done using an app, you click the Home button (to return home). The app essentially pauses in the background and you continue going about your tasks. There is no reason to concern yourself with closing the apps as TattooedMac explained, unless you're having a problem with an app and want to force quit it.

If you want to close a webpage (so no one else can see it), simply browse to a new page. Or hit the button at the lower-right to show all open pages and then close the ones you don't want open.

Quote:
when I double click the home button and it shows the desktop why are there icon impressions of the usual icons that are there normally? Is that normal to have that? It looks like the icons have burned their impression into the screen.
What you're seeing is a list of open applications. This is your control for forcibly quitting them if you choose to do so (under normal operation, this is not necessary).

Quote:
wow, there is a lot I need to learn about this phone. :-)
It's pretty simple to pick up. Be sure to take the time to read the user guide I linked to above. Lots of good info there.

QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

What about the semi circle thing that says Portrait orientation unlocked and Portrait Orientation Locked when it is clicked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Those are your controls for the music player. So, for example, if you have music playing while you're doing other things on the phone, you can quickly flip to that section to adjust the volume or change the song (or go back a song).

The portrait orientation keeps the screen from switching from portrait to landscape mode as you tilt the phone.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
What about the semi circle thing that says Portrait orientation unlocked and Portrait Orientation Locked when it is clicked?
Let me try to explain this another way.

Your phone will automatically flip the display from portrait mode to landscape mode as you rotate the phone in your hand. So, for example, if you're reading a website and you'd like to see more of the page laterally (longways, or "landscape"), just rotate the phone in your hand and you'll notice that the screen rotates to that view. Conversely, if you want to go back to viewing it upright, rotate the phone back to the upright position (with the home button pointing to the floor). The screen will follow your motion and rotate into "portrait" mode.

So, there may be times when this is not a desirable behavior (automatically rotating). The portrait orientation lock, when engaged, will prevent this from occurring.

QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

CWA-Ah, I should have been able to figure that out. thanks
Quote:
Let me try to explain this another way.

Your phone will automatically flip the display from portrait mode to landscape mode as you rotate the phone in your hand. So, for example, if you're reading a website and you'd like to see more of the page laterally (longways, or "landscape"), just rotate the phone in your hand and you'll notice that the screen rotates to that view. Conversely, if you want to go back to viewing it upright, rotate the phone back to the upright position (with the home button pointing to the floor). The screen will follow your motion and rotate into "portrait" mode.

So, there may be times when this is not a desirable behavior (automatically rotating). The portrait orientation lock, when engaged, will prevent this from occurring.
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

CWQ-
Yea, I saw the Users Guide in Safari on the iPhone and it is a lot of reading. Is this the manual you are suggesting I read or are there others? Maybe some more condensed or is this the one. I have learned so much in just the day I have had it playing around with things, but I went through a fully charged battery too. :-)
Quote:
When you're done using an app, you click the Home button (to return home). The app essentially pauses in the background and you continue going about your tasks. There is no reason to concern yourself with closing the apps as TattooedMac explained, unless you're having a problem with an app and want to force quit it.

If you want to close a webpage (so no one else can see it), simply browse to a new page. Or hit the button at the lower-right to show all open pages and then close the ones you don't want open.

What you're seeing is a list of open applications. This is your control for forcibly quitting them if you choose to do so (under normal operation, this is not necessary).

It's pretty simple to pick up. Be sure to take the time to read the user guide I linked to above. Lots of good info there.
QUOTE Thanks
Kooler

I was more concerned with ALL the APPS that I thought might be using some data. Like Safari, Mail being open with the number of unread emails one has, not sure if the Map App used much data, and the icloud that allows one to follow you by GPS I guess in case you lose your iPhone. All together would you still say the data usage is minimal? if you have time regarding the GPS that tracks me or the phone so if it is lost it can be found. it is best to leave that one, am I correct?
Quote:
The iPhone doesn't typically keep tasks running in the background, unless they're absolutely necessary. So, when you're not actively using Safari, it is essentially "paused" and not consuming data.

Regardless, most data plans run around 2GB/mo. That's actually a good bit of data if you're not constantly downloading videos, music and other multimedia rich content on a very regular basis on 3G/4G. If you reserve those activities for times that you're on WiFi, chances are you'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "TV Shows" not showing up on iPad 3? | Iphone wont connect to my wifi »