New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

New iPhone maps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rossweisse

Rossweisse is on a distinguished road

I have an iPhone 4, which just updated itself to the new iOS. I'm adjusting to the changes, but I'm afraid the maps are nearly worthless. How do I get the old Google maps back? Is there a way to undo the update? I was really quite happy with my phone the way it was.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

Have a read of this article. It may have the answers you seek.

BBC News - Apple promises maps app will 'improve'

There was an article in the PC Advisor Magazine about how to restore your Google Maps but unfortunately I do not get that particular Magazine as I only have Macintosh equipment, even so, there is a lead for you to follow up.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 8.1
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to appropriate forum.

Read the following article and follow directions to install Google Maps back on your iPhone after updating to iOS 6. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Rossweisse

Thank you, Gandalph. It worked. Now I have decent maps again!

I suppose there's no hope of just undoing the "upgrade"...?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Besides your maps complaint, what is wrong with the update?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I just ran several tests this afternoon with both the new Maps from Apple and Google Maps which I installed after the iOS 6 update. I have to admit that I prefer Apple Maps. It may not have some of the things that Google Maps has, but to me it's easier to use and around here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro area seems to work very well.
QUOTE Thanks
Rossweisse

Thanks, chscag - here in St. Louis, it was a disaster.

dtravis7, it adds things and makes things different; I don't feel a need for it, and I really don't have time to figure everything out. (I should admit that I really liked my Palm devices, with their Real Keyboards, and only switched to the iPhone when it became obvious that Palm was going nowhere fast. The fact that the iPhone would transfer only the names and telephone numbers on my contact list, dumping everything else, didn't help. To me, this phone is just another tool.)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossweisse View Post
Thanks, chscag - here in St. Louis, it was a disaster.

dtravis7, it adds things and makes things different; I don't feel a need for it, and I really don't have time to figure everything out. (I should admit that I really liked my Palm devices, with their Real Keyboards, and only switched to the iPhone when it became obvious that Palm was going nowhere fast. The fact that the iPhone would transfer only the names and telephone numbers on my contact list, dumping everything else, didn't help. To me, this phone is just another tool.)
The last part about the iPhone only being able to transfer contacts over isn't true. You need to back up your old phone via iTunes. Then when you plug in your new phone it will ask you if you want to restore from your phone backup or make a new phone.

Doing it that way guarantees that it will be exactly like your old phone.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Gordon Bennett!

The new iPhone maps are terribly out of date where I live (UAE). I used the above fix to restore Google Maps to my home screen - works fine. I used a similar fix to get YouTube back. I must admit, these rather petulant moves against Google are annoying and off-putting to the extent that for the first time ever I am going to check out an Android phone rather than an iPhone 5.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You didn't have to "use a similar trick" to get YouTube back -- Google has posted an updated YouTube app to the App Store. It's free, and by all accounts improved (though it can do ads now, of course).

I for one wouldn't be quite so arrogant -- you don't actually know why Apple replaced the Google Maps app, you're just parroting what you've read from people who also don't know. Given that Apple continues to utilize Google maps in other applications and other Google services all over the place, I'm inclined to take them at their word that they simply didn't renew the contract they had with Google to provide the mapping data and wanted to launch their own service.

Some people seem to have SUPER short memories about how good Google Maps was when IT launched. Or, for that matter, about how accurate it is now.
QUOTE Thanks
Gordon Bennett!

No arrogance intended. I did an operating system update in good faith, and found that I was suddenly worse off (temporarily) owing to two Google-related resources having disappeared without warning from my iPhone. I have had to proactively take measures to restore functionality which I previously had. I joined this forum looking for, and finding, ways to fix this. I am aware of the issues between Apple and other software and hardware providers and find it hard not to make certain correlations. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Facebook Contact Synching | Partial syncing »