New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Maps in iOS6 is virtually Useless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Anthony88

Anthony88 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone else find the mew Maps App in iOS6 so poor as to be virtually useless for finding even the most visited of locations, let alone navigation?

I reside in Macau, but as a non Chinese reader I can only see the Chinese language map for Macau. To make matters worse, try to find just about any location and the App fails to come even close. eg. The Venetian Macau can not be located, nor can Macau Tower. Don't event try to find a business, even if you have the address.

How can Apple release something so bad, best to release iOS6 without the map app until it is fit for release. It would never have happened under the leadership Steve Jobs. Is this the sign of things to come? Is apple gong the way of others and just out for the fast buck,?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I think it's been well-established that the Apple Maps app is a first generation mapping app that will be refined over time. That said, there's plenty of third-party mapping applications that can fill the gap. Google Earth, for one, should be able to give you the detail you desire.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple Maps works fine here in Victoria, BC. But of course that's part of North America, which any new mapping app is going to start off getting right first.

I find it kind of amusing how people are freaking out about this. YES, I think it was a mistake on Apple's part to REMOVE the Google Maps app before Apple's own Maps app was fully cooked. But have you really never used a 1.0 software release before?

I think because Apple got iOS so right on the first try people appear to now believe that every Apple app springs fully-formed and perfect out of Cupertino like one of Zeus' children. Not so.

Pull up a chair and I'll tell you about iMovie 07 ...
QUOTE Thanks
Anthony88

Anthony88 is on a distinguished road

Whilst I accept that all new apps will have the odd bug or two in, thins is not just an odd bug or two, it is a totally unusable app. From all the posts I see in various blogs etc not just for me but for many many others too.

A lot of us rely on Maps when we are going about our everyday lives, both wrk and pleasure, so to release an app that is not just buggy, but bam right useless and at the same time take off a tried and tested app is to say the least annoying if not dam right stupid.

If I had made an error of thins magnitude in my work, I would expect, and rightly so, to be looking for a new job right now.

What in my mind makes it worse is to see the Apple response, which instead of owning up the the monumental foul up, says in effect its a new app, live with it. not to mention the more you use it the easier it will be. Oh that I could use it!! it is so bam bad in Macau that it is unusable here.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I used it for the first time on the bike yesterday to get to a place id never been before, and quite rural. Did the job perfectly. So I guess it depends on the place.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

Defiantly feel it is a location thing and as has been said will be updated and resolved within a short time. Used in the UK the other night and was spot on giving directions and distances.
QUOTE Thanks
sbmcreat

sbmcreat is on a distinguished road

you can still get google maps. Go to maps.google.com through safari, export and add to your desktop or phone and you will have access to that application. Works as I have done it on IPAD and IPHONE
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

The problem is that they're now so anti-Google that the iOS6 update automatically removes Google Maps and replaces it with something that many/most people find useless. One person I know (in the UK) has had to abandon using his iPhone for navigation in his company vehicle and go back the Tom-Tom he used before.

I believe (haven't tried it) that if Google Maps is removed on installation of iOS6 and you then manually reinstall it, you lose all your waypoints and any database of maps you've built up. For someone like the friend above that's a major kick in the teeth.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzastrip

gazzastrip is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" mid 2011. iPhone 4 & 5. iPad 1. Appletv.

I miss street view, google earth doesn't seem to offer that when you zoom in. (I only spent a few seconds trying and would like to be told different)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzastrip View Post
I miss street view, google earth doesn't seem to offer that when you zoom in. (I only spent a few seconds trying and would like to be told different)
That is my main complaint too . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
The problem is that they're now so anti-Google that the iOS6 update automatically removes Google Maps and replaces it with something that many/most people find useless.
I updated my iPad2 to iOS6 and Google Maps is still available and working.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightcraftsman View Post
I updated my iPad2 to iOS6 and Google Maps is still available and working.
How did you manage that? I still have a Maps Icon, but it pulls from Apple Maps (TomTom) now instead of Google Maps.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
How did you manage that? I still have a Maps Icon, but it pulls from Apple Maps (TomTom) now instead of Google Maps.
I upgraded through Settings/Software Update and Google Maps is still in my iPad 2, and fully functional. As much as I detest Google Maps on iOS I must admit Apple's Maps app need a lot of improvement, but it does have a few advantages over Google Maps. Turn-by-turn directions being chief among them.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
Berk

Berk will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.8 ML // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S

Has anyone tried the turn by turn voice commands? I couldn't get it work on my iPhone 4S. Siri is on and the volume is turned up.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony88 View Post
it is a totally unusable app.
You undermine your credibility when you use unfounded absolutes and superlatives you clearly don't actually mean.

I used Maps twice yesterday. Worked perfectly both times. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Unlike you, I'm not actually saying your opinion is wrong. For you, where you are, in your particular situation, maybe the app is (almost) useless. I don't disbelieve you at all.

I'm just saying that if I could travel back to 2007 and see how well the original release of Google Maps on the original iPhone worked in Macau, I wonder if it would be better? I somehow have doubts about that ...

I think Apple made a mistake in removing the Google version of the Maps app before their own Maps app was more fully cooked and global. But I also think they had good reasons for replacing Google (eventually) for maps, and I have the luxury of waiting for them to improve the program as I know they will. It's a free service with no ads, it's worth noting ...

In the meantime, there is NO shortage of alternative navigation apps in the App Store, and you can continue to use Google Maps all you want ... as a web app. The web version actually has MUCH more functionality than the iOS version did!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 5.1.1 SHSH blobs | iTunesU - am I missing something? »