New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

downgrading

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazzastrip

gazzastrip is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" mid 2011. iPhone 4 & 5. iPad 1. Appletv.

how do i downgrade from ios6 to 5. everything i have found so far will only take me from ios6 beta to 5? Another seemingly unrelated question what is Jailbreaking. At the moment i feel apple have ruined my 3gs
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The 3GS is the oldest iPhone that can run iOS 6, and compared to iPhone 4 or 4S is quite low in the hardware totem pole so it's hard to expect it to work really well..however there are numerous posts about downgrading to iOS 5 on Google..

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to-downgrade/

Jail breaking is the act of allowing you to install custom applications that Apple didn't approve and make available in the App Store..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5.1.1 YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I and a few other members here own a 3GS and have IOS6 on it. It works great. What are your issues?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzastrip View Post
At the moment i feel apple have ruined my 3gs
I'm not really sure blaming Apple for "ruining your iPhone" is fair. As "Raz0rEdge" mentioned…the iPhone 3gs is older hardware…and just like any older computer…older hardware = less performance.

So whenever you install the newest version of an operating system (iOS 6 in this case)…on older hardware (iPhone 3gs)…there is always the chance that you could have some performance issues.

This is why anyone with older hardware (computers, iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc.)…should really do some research BEFORE upgrading the OS to be sure the new OS will run WELL on older hardware. Just because older hardware meets the minimum system requirements…does not always guarantee acceptable performance (and everyones idea of "acceptable performance" can and will be different).

My 2 cents,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would love to know what performance issues? It's fine here. As fast as it was with 5.1.1 and I seem to be getting more battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I would love to know what performance issues?
Same here!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jvgora

jvgora is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch, Mid 2009, 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, 640 GB HDD

Quote:
I and a few other members here own a 3GS and have IOS6 on it. It works great. What are your issues?
I have found that iOS 6 runs GREAT on the 3GS, and as a matter of fact, it has convinced me to make the upgrade to the iPhone 5 (in December) but also switching to Verizon.
QUOTE Thanks
jvgora

jvgora is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch, Mid 2009, 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, 640 GB HDD

Quote:
I would love to know what performance issues? It's fine here. As fast as it was with 5.1.1 and I seem to be getting more battery life.
Agreed.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzastrip

gazzastrip is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" mid 2011. iPhone 4 & 5. iPad 1. Appletv.

the phone works fine, I just really miss the map. It's like going back to an old version of google maps. Where I live is coloured in grey and lacks any definition. Also I used to tap on the pin and get street view but that is also gone.

On the downgrade issue, I tried the fix that the youtube video suggested but it said my phone was not eligible. Whilst looking around it would appear that it was easier to downgrade from a beta version of IOS6 than the proper one unless I had saved a blob?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzastrip View Post
the phone works fine, I just really miss the map.
So in fact your initial post was a complete lie.

Here, let me fix this for you:

1. Open a web browser.
2. Type in "maps.google.com"
3. When prompted automatically, save the site as a web app.

Now you not only have Google Maps back, you have a BETTER version with significantly newer features than the iOS app ever had! MAGIC!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imessaging Problems | Web Video Downloader for Mac? »