New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Passbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImDrRichard

ImDrRichard is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBPro wi/Retina Display, iPhone5S, iPad Mini 64

Hi All -

Are there directions on using Passbook? When I access the App, I get a message that says "Could not connect to the iTunes Store."

Is this because of some issue in my phone (4S) or because the App is not ready to go yet?

Thanks-
Rich

Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

When I access the app, I'm allowed to hit the App store which shows apps that are Passbook-aware. I downloaded the Target app and then registered for coupons. Once the coupons were available, I could add them to Passbook and next time I visit Target I could have them scan the coupon directly from Passbook..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Passbook does not work like you might expect (and ought to say so on that opening screen). It just stores digital documents that qualify automatically. Buy a ticket from Fandango and you'll see what I mean.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

The only one I am offered is Lufthansa.

Not very useful. Presumably this is really USA only - or maybe just too new to be of much help yet?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's not USA only -- works just fine here in Canada. Do you have a Starbucks loyalty card where you are? Walk into a Starbucks and see if a coupon doesn't appear. Or buy a ticket from Lufthansa and request a boarding pass.

You might also try (if you have a QR code-reading application like RedLaser) scanning a QR code for a coupon: that might be enough to trigger Passbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Odd. I'm having the same problem as the OP. I thought Apple simply hadn't launched the apps for Passbook yet. Hmmmm...

Found the fix. I'm not getting the Store connection error anymore, although it is just hanging there for me with the spinner stuck on "Loading".
Cannot connect to iTunes store

EDIT: it finally stopped hanging. Looks like it's working now.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I may as well throw this tip out there. There's a website that will let you create your own custom Passbook passes to hold you over until the retailer supports it directly.
PassSource - Create Passbook passes and Manage your own custom Apple iOS 6 Passbook PassKit passes for free for your iPhone

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read their FAQ and found that once they are past the beta period, there will be a monthly fee to use this. Bleah! Also, the one card I just made through them is in my Passbook, but I can't get back to PB's main screen. Bizarre. I had to delete the pass.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Passbook is working well in the Airports with Boarding Passes here in Australia. Before PB i would have a boarding pass on my iP4s but it wouldnt scan. No i just hand over to the hostess and its scans ok now. It doesnt pop up as i walk into the Terminal though as Promised by Tim though

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
gnomishninja

gnomishninja is on a distinguished road

I'm sure more apps will be Passbook friendly in the coming months. I know that several large chain grocery stores here in the U.S. have digital coupons and I expect to start seeing them making passbook friendly apps.

I am gnomishninja's clever signature.
QUOTE Thanks
brtaus

brtaus is on a distinguished road

I have tried to the date "work around" and it still tells me it can't connect to itunes. Then I change the date back to original date and now it is just hanging there with the spinner stuck on loading.

I tried resetting my phone; syncing my phone, restarting the apps.

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I wish the Passbook app would replace all the stupid store reward cards I have in my wallet. Its the perfect app for it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I wish the Passbook app would replace all the stupid store reward cards I have in my wallet. Its the perfect app for it.
It will -- and very soon.

Gyft Brings Gift Cards From Over 200 Retailers To Apple’s Passbook | TechCrunch

In addition to this, I expect Apple will aggressively add retailers as well. Starbucks already works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Let's Golf app repeatedly auto-downloading in iTunes | Imessaging Problems »