New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Find My Friends names

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benandrew7

benandrew7 is on a distinguished road

I have recently updated to iOS 6 on my 4s and ipad new generation. I have also updated the 'Find my Friends' app however all my friends are now showing as an email address instead of their name as previously displayed in iOS 5. How do I have them displayed as contact name again?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Have you restarted since the upgrade?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
benandrew7

benandrew7 is on a distinguished road

All I have done is a complete power down of the phone after the iOS installation.After turning phone on again I then opened up the app to find the problem with my friends list.
QUOTE Thanks
pyroknight

pyroknight is on a distinguished road

Oddly, my girlfriend and I both have an iPhone 4 on the AT&T network. She shows up by contact name on my phone, I show up as an email address on hers. She has deleted and reinstalled the app. I have tried changing various iCloud settings and Contact settings, all to no avail. I presume it is some type of bug that is only affecting some of the phones, but I am nowhere near tech savvy enough to offer a solution.
QUOTE Thanks
hawk00eyed

hawk00eyed is on a distinguished road

Spent forever trying to figure out the same problem for my parents. Ended up being this:

Settings>Privacy>Contacts>Find Friends>ON (was switched to OFF)

Maybe you've tried this already, maybe you haven't.
QUOTE Thanks
roncoe

roncoe is on a distinguished road

I too had been experiencing this problem. I decided to spend some real time troubleshooting it over the Christmas break. Here is what I've found:

The root of the problem seems to stem from the fact that my iPhone is integrated with the messaging system at my place of work--Exchange/Outlook. This integration provides a feature that will populate a suggested contacts folder with the e-mail addresses of the people that you frequently send e-mail messages to. Even though that folder is a child of the Exchange messaging conduit on the phone it appears to have some precedence system wide. I confirmed that my friends whose entries were giving me trouble in FmF had e-mail addresses in the suggested contacts folder. Here is what I did to resolve the problem:

1. Delete the addresses from the suggested contacts folder
2. In the contacts app, choose to hide all groups
3. Force quite FmF if it is running
4. Relaunch FmF

After these steps FmF finds the correct contact entry in the Contacts app and does the right thing. I'm even able to re-enable the display of groups in the contact app and FmF continues to work as expected.

Hope this is helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
FSUDad

FSUDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk00eyed View Post
Spent forever trying to figure out the same problem for my parents. Ended up being this:

Settings>Privacy>Contacts>Find Friends>ON (was switched to OFF)

Maybe you've tried this already, maybe you haven't.
This fix did the trick! Thank You. FSUDad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone | iphone, dropbox »