Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    ImageX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    440
    Specs:
    17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
    Cutting iOS 6 features for iPhone 4.
    Gotta love Apple's marketing scheme trying to get owners of older hardware to upgrade for certain features. Siri was one example when they released the iPhone 4S because Siri certainly runs on the iPhone 4 (I've had it on mine). Now they've clipped Flyover and Panorama from the iPhone 4 when those are 2 of the bigger updates people were going to want to see. I know this ploy Apple does makes sense business-wise, but it's kind of insulting having Apple feel like they need to make people upgrade their hardware. I was already planning on getting the iPhone 5, I don't need an extra push.

    Anyway, that's all I've found so far after upgrading to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and I'm sure there will be a few more things that I'm not able to do. I'm off my soap box.

    - ImageX
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

    Remember to use the Reputation System!

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    106
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
    Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?

  3. #3

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,519
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

    Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

    Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?
    The 3GS is compatible with iOS 6
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  5. #5

    ImageX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    440
    Specs:
    17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Berk View Post
    Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?
    So far, it seems about the same as iOS 5. A few of the screens are different looking and I haven't noticed any of my apps missing other than YouTube, but that's available as a download in the App Store.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    ...will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?
    iOS 6 will install on the 3GS, but it may run even slower than iOS 5 does, and it will be lacking at least the same features it lacks for the iPhone 4, if not more. These removed features makes it basically feel like iOS 5, but with some menu screens looking different and with Passbook if you even were interested in using that. The maps app is about the same as it used to be, but the map just has a different skin.

    All in all, if you don't have an iPhone 4S, it's not really worth it unless any of the smaller features intrigued you.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

    Remember to use the Reputation System!

  6. #6

    ImageX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    440
    Specs:
    17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
    Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

    Remember to use the Reputation System!

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's like you guys don't know about Apple Support: iOS 6: Which software features does my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch support?

  8. #8

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,451
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  9. #9

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.
    I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  10. #10

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,451
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.
    That pretty much validates what I was thinking. I can probably live without DND. Thanks for the input!
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  11. #11

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
    Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.
    I had infini-folders installed at one point when I was jailbroken. I was not impressed. It was extremely buggy and would often lag when trying to scroll.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  12. #12

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,658
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    It's one thing to exclude the 3GS from a lot of features, but I can't believe the iPhone 4 is so much less capable of running some of the things that the iPhone 4S can. Ok, Siri was used to differentiate the 4 and 4S, but no flyover or turn-by-turn in maps? I'd love to know the technical reasons for this..though I suspect it's purely marketing as the OP said..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 10:43 PM
  2. iOS 6 expected to share new features in Mountain Lion
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 01:20 AM
  3. Rumor: iPhoto '12 for Mac coming this summer with features from iOS
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
  4. Inside IOS 5: new Maps features
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
  5. Apple releases iOS 4.3 Beta, brings new features to iPhone and iPad
    By eliehass in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •