New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Cutting iOS 6 features for iPhone 4.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Gotta love Apple's marketing scheme trying to get owners of older hardware to upgrade for certain features. Siri was one example when they released the iPhone 4S because Siri certainly runs on the iPhone 4 (I've had it on mine). Now they've clipped Flyover and Panorama from the iPhone 4 when those are 2 of the bigger updates people were going to want to see. I know this ploy Apple does makes sense business-wise, but it's kind of insulting having Apple feel like they need to make people upgrade their hardware. I was already planning on getting the iPhone 5, I don't need an extra push.

Anyway, that's all I've found so far after upgrading to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and I'm sure there will be a few more things that I'm not able to do. I'm off my soap box.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
Berk

Berk will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S

Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I want to know what I can't do on my 3GS...

Going to have to make sure Audible works before I upgrade - or will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?
The 3GS is compatible with iOS 6

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk View Post
Other than losing a couple of your favorite apps how do you like IOS6? I'm currently updating mine right now?
So far, it seems about the same as iOS 5. A few of the screens are different looking and I haven't noticed any of my apps missing other than YouTube, but that's available as a download in the App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
...will iOS 6 even install on a 3GS?
iOS 6 will install on the 3GS, but it may run even slower than iOS 5 does, and it will be lacking at least the same features it lacks for the iPhone 4, if not more. These removed features makes it basically feel like iOS 5, but with some menu screens looking different and with Passbook if you even were interested in using that. The maps app is about the same as it used to be, but the map just has a different skin.

All in all, if you don't have an iPhone 4S, it's not really worth it unless any of the smaller features intrigued you.

QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's like you guys don't know about Apple Support: iOS 6: Which software features does my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch support?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I have an IP4 and have been contemplating whether or not to upgrade to IOS6. I don't do social networking Twitty-Pages type stuff and also have no real interest in Passbook, Do Not Disturb, or Photostream. All in all, my IP4 is stable on IOS5 and I'm at a loss as to whether it's worth the upgrade in my case. Not slamming IOS6, just not sure it is a value aded proposition for me right now.
I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
I would say it is a waste of time for you. That is about all that is added to the IP4 anyway, so it makes sense to stay where your at. DND is a nice feature as I usually carry the phone to bed and there are times when something comes through and disturbs me.
That pretty much validates what I was thinking. I can probably live without DND. Thanks for the input!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
Also, iOS 6 just released and there is still not a more efficient way to close multi-tasking apps... Still tap one by one. And Apple wonders why people jailbreak their devices. Also, the folders can still only hold 12 items. They need to just add scrolling to folders already like Infini-folders. I'm not sure how nobody in the development team could use more than 12 apps in a folder. It's bad when you have 2-3 folders for the same type of apps because one folder can only hold 12 items.
I had infini-folders installed at one point when I was jailbroken. I was not impressed. It was extremely buggy and would often lag when trying to scroll.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's one thing to exclude the 3GS from a lot of features, but I can't believe the iPhone 4 is so much less capable of running some of the things that the iPhone 4S can. Ok, Siri was used to differentiate the 4 and 4S, but no flyover or turn-by-turn in maps? I'd love to know the technical reasons for this..though I suspect it's purely marketing as the OP said..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error -1 when updating iphone 4 to ios6 | How do you clean the iphone 5 lense? »