New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

WARNING: Pokemaker Childrens' App Has ADULT CONTENT!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MJG196

MJG196 is on a distinguished road

I found the Pokemaker app in the iTunes App Store (rated at 4+) and thought it would be good for my 9 year old. However, he found some very explicit pictures and I immediately deleted the app. Many pictures (photos and cartoons) of nude women and children (I didn't look for men). I commented in the App Store reviews, but nothing has been done. The link to the company's Customer Support goes to a dead site, too.

I am not sure if cartoon sexual images of children are illegal - but if they are, then this app is violating them. I am putting this out there for all of you parents!!

----------------------
"This is the destiny of democracy, as not all means are acceptable to it and not all practices employed by its enemies are open before it." - Former Israeli Supreme Court Justice Aharon Barak
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm going to let this thread stand although here is really not the appropriate place to post something like this. I understand your concern as a parent and suggest you contact Apple direct about it. Comments left in the review section of an App are probably going to be overlooked. And as far as trying to get through to the developers goes, you may be beating a dead horse.

Contact Apple customer service by direct phone.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I can't see where this is the developer or Apple's fault. I took a quick look (honestly know nothing about Poke) but absolutely the same justification and problems exist with Mobile Safari.
The APP appears to allow access to a forum for sharing and exchanging cards members have created. The content of the cards is driven by the membership, just as the content of web pages is driven by the creators of the web sites.

I agree it ought to be a little clearer in the APP description, but bottomline is any APP that provides broader access to the net also opens up the user (kids in this case) to exposure to stuff we parents would rather they didn't see.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MJG196

MJG196 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I can't see where this is the developer or Apple's fault. I took a quick look (honestly know nothing about Poke) but absolutely the same justification and problems exist with Mobile Safari.
The APP appears to allow access to a forum for sharing and exchanging cards members have created. The content of the cards is driven by the membership, just as the content of web pages is driven by the creators of the web sites.

I agree it ought to be a little clearer in the APP description, but bottomline is any APP that provides broader access to the net also opens up the user (kids in this case) to exposure to stuff we parents would rather they didn't see.
All very good points, but the real issue is that this is rated 4+. And if members are able to upload sexually explicit pics of cartoon children - legally - then there should certainly be a warning.

----------------------
"This is the destiny of democracy, as not all means are acceptable to it and not all practices employed by its enemies are open before it." - Former Israeli Supreme Court Justice Aharon Barak
QUOTE Thanks
Pokemunity

Pokemunity is on a distinguished road

Hi, we are the developers and maintainers of Pokemaker and the Pokemunity site.

We take such things very seriously and endevour to keep the product as clean and appropriate as possible.

All posts go through a moderator queue and we find it surprising that this has managed to get through. We are therefore going to investigate immediately and work out how it has happened.

We are also looking at improving services and ensure we are contactable at all times, so we will be checking the support links and looking at other mechanisms such as flagging content should something get through.

I am not sure why your contact to support did not arrive, but posting reviews does not really allow us to respond as Apple keeps developers and customers apart in the review side.

So, I am glad we found this post and can get on to addressing it immediately.

Thank you,
Pokemunity Support
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble saving files to server | iPhone 4s, Mac & Mophie...not good company??? »