New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Learning xcode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

another simian

another simian is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone.. I'm new to all of this - and really want to start making apps. I've got zero code experience but am eager to learn. I've started on a basic tutorial which: iOS For High School Students: Getting Started | Ray Wenderlich ... ng-started

It appears that the tutorials are for an earlier version of Xcode as there a couple of things that I noticed don't match up. i.e. 'pool drain' doesn't appear on the version of Xcode (4.3.3) that I'm using, and there was another one after that which I can't recall just now. I'm guessing that there's going to be a lot of that.

I was wondering whether you think I should just continue - and not have a mind glitch and lose myself in a forum hunt trying to get answers every time this occurs.. (maybe these differences are minor?) - or.. should I try and find a tutorial that works specifically with the most recent version of Xcode?

I would be happy in the extreme for any advice.. please be gentle - I'm a fresh newbie..
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Start here, there are plenty of resources online for the budding coder, also, check out if your local Apple store is holding any seminars

Free Xcode eBook for beginners | Mactoids for Apple Macintosh

THere are aslo courses on iTunes U

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
another simian

another simian is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback.. I'll check this stuff out..
QUOTE Thanks
jpontyface

jpontyface is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

Certainly look for more up to date tutorials. If you are willing to invest, buy a book. I bought my brother this:

Amazon.com: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK (9781430230243): David Mark, Jack Nutting, Jeff LaMarche: Books

back in december. He said it was a great help, but there are a few things in it that are out of date already.

New versions of xcode come out pretty often so you'll run into it quite a bit, just keep chugging away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about iMovie '11-->'09 Compatibility | Question about contacts »