New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Where did I go wrong - iPhone Hotmail contacts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I got my first iPhone for a few days now and set up mail to access my Hotmail account. When I came to set up my contacts I noticed that all my Hotmail contacts were there under Hotmail Group (all All contacts group obviously), but I could not copy/move these to the icloud group to merge them with my contacts from my iMac address book. Contacts in both my Hotmail account and Address Book were therefore duplicated on the iPhone - some having full info others just the Hotmail email info.

After a few searches via Google it seemed that the only way forward was to deleted the contacts in the Hotmail group and re-key what I needed afresh into my Address Book. So I deleted all my Hotmail contacts on the iPhone, updated my Address Book as I went and all was well... until I used Hotmail again on my iMac. My Hotmail contacts were all there but all info other than their name had been deleted. For many this was my only record of their email addresses or any contact info come that that.

So... How come my contacts on Hotmail itself were deleted - surely these are held on the Hotmail servers? How can I access Hotmail on my iPhone without duplicating contacts on it? Will the same problems occur when I set up my iPhone to access my Yahoo, Gmail and Zen internet email accounts? How can I recover my Hotmail contacts (on my iMac)?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Being unable to edit the original title to better elict a response, I'm bumping this - with apologies to all those who have already read it.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 4s or Iphone 5 | Making an interface to run a php file in Terminal »