New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iphone restore impossible. Error 21

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dimlocator

dimlocator is on a distinguished road

I tried to update the software on my iphone 4S today. It stopped working, & now won't even restore - I get "the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)'

It's a completely unhacked/jailbroken iphone, & I have the latest version of itunes (10.6.1), & run the latest OS X (10.7.4).

A bit of googling suggests that it might be firewalls or some such might be blocking the connection, but I don't have one of these.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

what does iTunes say when you plug it into the computer?
does it say anything?

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Jro

Jro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttaylor394 View Post
what does iTunes say when you plug it into the computer?
does it say anything?

the iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)

Try putting the phone into DFU mode and see if you can restore it.
QUOTE Thanks
dimlocator

I've tried using DFU mode several times, but keep going round in circles.

I put the iphone in DFU mode (carefully monitoring the 10 seconds), iTunes gives the message "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes".
I click "ok", then "restore".
ITunes asks me if I am sure, I click "restore & update".
After a 10 - 15 seconds I get "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)."
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sounds like what happened is that you started an update but it didn't finish for whatever reason and so in a practical sense you've bricked it.

You'll need to see an Apple technician to sort that out.
QUOTE Thanks
dimlocator

Thanks for the tip, for I really am getting nowhere (other than frustration city)

Next question: is the resetting of the iPhone to factory settings a straightforward operation for a mac technician? I am outside my home country, so could I just walk in to a mac shop & get it done (ok perhaps a bit of a wait), or is it a more complex operation requiring more time, production of warranties etc?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, should be a very straightforward operation. Make sure you go to a genuine Apple retail store OR a genuine Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) in whatever country you're in.
QUOTE Thanks
Jro

Jro is on a distinguished road

I'm curious, since he's outside of the country of purchase would an Apple store from another country offer any type of assistant?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blocking specific incoming iphone calls | Best sports app for iPad »