New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

SIRI won't send text message to one of my contacts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

This is a bit of an odd one.

I often send text messages using SIRI. It's always worked fine until this weekend. To my knowledge nothing has changed in my contacts. But now just one of my contacts no longer works when I try and text with SIRI. The same is true with asking to call this mobile number too.

I can call, iMessage and text manually OK (this contact has an iPhone 4).
But if I use SIRI 'he' just asks which email address I'd like to use or says that this contact has no mobile number. Even if I explicitly say send a text message to........ only email options are given.

With all the other contacts I've tried it works fine.

I've compared this contact with others and can see no obvious difference.

I've deleted and re-added the mobile number but no change.

I've added a dummy contact with a different name but the same mobile (just for debug purposes) and that works.

I'm wanting to just put this down to a beta bug but it's odd it's worked for so long.

Any thoughts?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Z mannn R2

Z mannn R2 will become famous soon enough

what's the name? because if it's hard for her to understand then that's obviously a problem....I'd suggest renaming the contact a sort of shortened verion or a nickname of the person instead and see how that does. It has nothing to do with their number obviously that name messes her up.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. But it's not the name.

SIRI recognises the contacts name no problem and offers up a choice of emails to send an email to rather than a text. Or says "Fred does not have a mobile number "

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

What is the "category" of the number in the contacts list? I'm wondering if it is under something other than mobile or iPhone?

I'm just putting out ideas, I don't use Siri that much so not sure what the cause would be.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried mobile and iPhone and both but it behaves the same for all

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

After much trial and error I have found a solution.

The contact was unified from two entries. I disconnected them then re-unified them and it now works fine.

Still no clue as to why it stopped working to start with.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

That's a curious bug you've found. You should most definitely report that to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Already done
But it is odd. Got a dozen or so unified contacts that still worked.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FX Photo Studio (iPhone) Preset Codes | Where is the iPad...? »