Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   Texting While Driving MUST STOP... please recommend an app (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/273933-texting-while-driving-must-stop-please-recommend-app.html)

jrod81 05-02-2012 01:25 AM

Texting While Driving MUST STOP... please recommend an app

Hey guys,
I held onto an old phone simply because I could text without looking at the phone. I could feel it out and spell it out correctly because it was the old kind- yeah know where the buttons were raised and not on the screen...
Well, I have finally made the switch to an Iphone and need help. For the benefit of other's on the road, my wife and kid, and myself- could someone please recommend an app that I can simply say a text out loud and have it sent to keep me from having to type while driving...
I have a 3GS so SIRI is not an option I guess for me.
thanks
jared

cradom 05-02-2012 04:27 AM

Turn off, put in pocket. Simple and safe.

chas_m 05-02-2012 07:36 AM

Power down the iPhone before getting in the car. Not sleeping. OFF.

Your life, the lives of other people, and your family's safety and well-being are more important than ANY text. If the phone is turned completely OFF while driving, then you have no chance of RECEIVING a text, and thus no temptation to respond to it (not that you should even be READING texts while driving, let alone sending them!).

Unless you're a driver by profession, the time you spend in a car is typically a miniscule part of your overall day. So whatever it is, it can wait the 15 minutes till you get to where you're going.

You shut your phone off in the movie theatre, don't you? That's around two hours of "off" time. Surely you can do the same in the car.

The life, health and property you save may be your own!

cwa107 05-02-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1400902)
Power down the iPhone before getting in the car. Not sleeping. OFF.

Your life, the lives of other people, and your family's safety and well-being are more important than ANY text. If the phone is turned completely OFF while driving, then you have no chance of RECEIVING a text, and thus no temptation to respond to it (not that you should even be READING texts while driving, let alone sending them!).

Unless you're a driver by profession, the time you spend in a car is typically a miniscule part of your overall day. So whatever it is, it can wait the 15 minutes till you get to where you're going.

You shut your phone off in the movie theatre, don't you? That's around two hours of "off" time. Surely you can do the same in the car.

The life, health and property you save may be your own!

I couldn't agree more.

Look at it as an opportunity to correct a bad habit.

jrod81 05-04-2012 12:25 PM

I drive 3000 miles per month... sorry guys... at this point, it's not an option. I am using Vlingo... its all voice command and sits on my dash... all handsfree

Stretch 05-04-2012 12:36 PM

And what did you do before texting was invented?

I really hope that when you finally do crash, you don't hit someone.

Dysfunction 05-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrod81 (Post 1401707)
I drive 3000 miles per month... sorry guys... at this point, it's not an option. I am using Vlingo... its all voice command and sits on my dash... all handsfree

Hrm, I'm really glad that texting and driving is illegal here. It's worse than drinking and driving.. statistically speaking.

AliOop 05-05-2012 03:28 PM

Texting while driving just doesn't mix. ( Boozing is another thing ) Stop it. Really. Even when I talk, unless it's a quick conversation, I pull over to the side. Just don't do it! Wait till you get there. Then talk or text to your hearts content. How important is it that you can't wait?

XJ-linux 05-05-2012 04:42 PM

If you hit my family while texting and driving, you'd best pray I'm a fatality or hire professional protection for life. It's a bad habit to say the least. Exercise some restraint and put the phone down, or hire a driver.

chas_m 05-05-2012 08:20 PM

Guys, he said he's now using Vlingo -- that's a voice-controlled app. I believe he's trying to say that he uses it for texting now instead of manually texting while driving.

If that's so, then that's the kind of improvement you want, at least until he gets an iPhone with Siri. As he said, he's some kind of professional driver (3,000 miles a month = 100 miles per day, every day average) -- or desperately needs to look into telecommuting. :)

I still say that most normal human beings can wait until they take a pit stop to return any texts, emails, calls etc. In my own personal opinion, even COMPOSING a text (not typing it, just thinking about what you're going to say) is too distracting. I can just about -- barely -- handle a hands-free voice call if it's nothing long and nothing complicated. Maybe I just don't have the brain power of this guy, but I will say that science has long since proven we are not ANYWHERE NEAR as good at multi-tasking as we think we are:

Amazon.com: The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done (9780470372258): Dave Crenshaw: Books

hugtheslug 05-06-2012 05:30 AM

In the UK the police now check phones for previous activity after an accident, but I still constantly see drivers using them on the move, even when they have a passenger right next to them and perfectly capable of speaking for them.
It's beyond belief the risks people take with theirs and others's lives.

Cheers :)

Hugh

class77 05-06-2012 05:17 PM

I don't care if these idiots who text want to take their own lives in their hands while texting, but I mind tremendously when they put mine or my family's lives at risk when they are too busy jabbering on the phone or trying to read/text to pay attention to the road while driving.

If you don't have handsfree phone in your car, you should be arrested on the spot for using a phone. NO phone call you could get is worth killing another person. NONE.

Z mannn R2 05-08-2012 08:41 AM

get the 4S and sell your 3GS on ebay....no way around it man

vincentjones724 05-08-2012 04:03 PM

Vlingo

I use Vlingo or Nuance has a few apps in the store that do speech recognition.

IvanLasston 05-08-2012 04:57 PM

Long but should be required watching
AT&T Don't Text While Driving Documentary - YouTube